Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
kkg58
kkg58 began at the beginning.

Device: none
TOC and related problems

I have a book with 36 different problems and their solutions. I had to insert chapter breaks before each problem and solution, so that the problem and solution would be on the same page as its title. Before I did this, the heading for Problem 10 (for example) was at the bottom of Problem 9. And then the actual Problem 10 would be on a new page (each problem is an image). When I inserted the chapter breaks, the TOC reordered the chapters, so that the problems are now all out of order. Even when I move the chapters to the right position in the book browser, they show up in the TOC as out of order. I don't mind editing the ncx file for minor issues (see next paragraph) , but I'm somewhat hesitant to edit the TOC to put all the problems in the correct order.

The other thing is that the TOC now reads Problem10 and Solution to Problem10. The space between the word Problem and the number has been deleted. I tried editing the ncx file and putting the space in, but it still didn't help.

I also had one chapter that I inadvertently misspelled when I was renaming the sections. Instead of Problem, I have PRoblem. When I try to rename it correctly, I get an error message.

I also lost the first chapters to my TOC -- the contents page, the copyright, the introduction, and the afterword, and so on. Only the Problems and Solutions are showing up in my TOC. What happened to those other chapters, and how do I get them back?

Here is part of my ncx file that shows some of these issues.

<navPoint id="navPoint-5" playOrder="5">
<navLabel>
<text>SOLUTION TO PROBLEM3</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Text/Solution%20to%20Problem%203.xhtml" />
</navPoint>
<navPoint id="navPoint-6" playOrder="6">
<navLabel>
<text>Problem5</text>
</navLabel>

Can anybody help?

Thanks.
kkg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

easy to fix - just scrap that toc , build a new one from headers. add header tags as needed. use regex to detect instances of PROBLEM , SOLUTION as needed and add surrounding header tags.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
kkg58

I have tried to build a new TOC, but every time I click the button to regenerate my TOC, it closes up the space and puts the chapters in the wrong order again. Is there another tutorial around somewhere that goes into more detail? Do I have to physically delete the existing ncx file?

Last edited by kkg58; 09-18-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
First, make sure you're using the latest version, since all the issues with chapter splitting reordering the chapters should be fixed.

When Sigil generates an automatic ToC it relies on you having specified the chapter heading using heading tags (<h1>, <h2>, etc). If chapters have gone missing then you probably didn't set their headings properly. See the manual.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
kkg58

Okay. New problem. I went back to my original file to try and redo the chapter breaks (to try and keep them in the right order. Now I can't even put in chapter breaks. I insert the chapter break, but then when I try to go to the next problem to insert another chapter break, it gives me an error message of expected end of tag body. What am I doing wrong now?
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
kkg58

BTW, I have been looking at the manual.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
kkg58

I have the latest version. 4.2. Why can't I put in chapter breaks now?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Please DO NOT mix threads. You have a separate thread going for this issue.

ON Topic (TOC)
the TOC is built by the order the files appear in the Book Browser, then by the H tags within.
One file can contain more than 1 chapter, as long as they appear within in the proper order, the TOC should follow for that file.

H#'s affect TOC nesting. as soon a a lower H# occurs, the Toc has a new nest from that level.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
kkg58

I'm sorry for mixing the threads. I thought I should start a new one, since the issue was completely different from the TOC issue. Should I just keep everything in this thread? I'm just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I was given this file to fix, and one of the fixes I had to do was to the get the heading for the problem (Problem 1) to be on the same page as the actual problem. Before the heading was on one page and the problem was on the second. The TOC was in this original file and it had all my chapters. When I looked at the code -- there were no H1 headings for the ones that I was missing, so how did they get into the TOC to begin with? I then put in all the chapter breaks, and that was when things started to go wonky with the TOC. The chapters in the book browser were all out of order, and then when I tried to put them back in order -- some of my chapters had been completely deleted. In addition, spaces were being closed up in the heading titles. That's when I went back to an earlier version of my file to put in all the chapter breaks again. And now I can't even do that.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
kkg58

2 topics, 2 threads is best.

The TOC can be generated manually if you wish to hand code it

Sigil uses H tags as a implied part/chapter markers as a easy way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Ok, I'm going to take a guess at what you're trying to do.

You're importing an unformatted broken epub and want to fix it up. It's got paragraphs and such in place already but not all of the chapters are showing up correctly or the ToC doesn't make sense after editing - or does pagebreak correctly on your reader.

The easiest way is as has been previously stated : make sure that each chapter heading is set to be a 'Heading' (i.e h1, h2 etc - you can find them in the toolbar dropdown menu)
To split your chapters easily for editing, go to each chapter heading (aside from the first in the xhtml document) and insert a SGF chapter break on the left side of each chapter, once you've gone through whole file marking the chapters + SGF's up, you can go to the 'Tools' menu and 'split on SGF', to put each chapter into a different file (at least I prefer that to 3-4 large xhtml files)

Now, you should only have heading's on your title page and at the start of each chapter. You can generate the ToC quite easily and move between them easily.

If you're importing from pdfSmasher, you can actually mark up the headings etc right in there and save a few minutes
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
1) Sort out the xhtml. Make sure ALL chapter headings (or any other heading you with to appear in the ToC) use the correct <h#> tags depending on their level. Make sure the xhtml is well-formed with correct closing tags (and remember this is xhtml, which has distinct requirements), run it through a validator if necessary.

2) Split your book files as needed.

3) Generate the ToC.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book browser, toc problem, toc.ncx