Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-17-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Wheel of Time" author Robert Jordan passed away

Robert Jordan succumbed to his illness (Cardiac amyloidosis) on 16 September 2007 and died at about 2:45pm.

Probably one of the longest fantasy series, The Wheel of Time remains unfinished with eleven books (of a projected twelve total).

May Mr. Jordan rest in peace.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Arrrgggghhh.
I really like his books. I cannot believe, there will not be another one.
I didnt even know that he was ill. Its a shame, that he lost against that desease. He was only 58 years old.

May he have a great afterlife.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Damn - I wish he'd finished the series. I wonder if he left sufficient notes for someone else to do so? Very sad news.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Damn it! I am sad for his wife and friends. He seemed to be doing well on the way to a recovery according to his blog.

Though I feel bad at myself for wanting him to life long enough to finish his books, I think he -too- wanted to finish his long work.

Wherever you are and what you belief, I hope all those are in comfort about it.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Keith Lommel
Keith Lommel began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader PRS-505 (Blue)
What sad news! I grew up reading Jordan's Wheel of Time, eagerly awaiting each new volume much as today's generation of younger readers did with the Harry Potter series. At some point I stopped keeping up with the series, but I always hoped that after he finished writing it I could just take a month off work for a marathon session reading the entire series from beginning to end.

Harry, for what it's worth, it appears that he did share the "bones" of the plot for the final volume, according to his "brother/cousin" Wilson on the Dragonmount blog:

Quote:
Epilog: Yes he is continuing to work through all of this medical calamity. MOL is going into the word processor and onto audio tapes almost daily. Not every day mind you, because the medical fight takes first priority. But, he told you he’d finish and he will. Fact is that it has been finished in his head for years. During a recent family sit around, he became the Gleeman and told the bones of it ALL to Harriet and me. You read that right, I did say ALL. Don’t ask, ain’t telling. Two and a half hours of story telling by the Creator himself went by in the twinkling of an eye. Truly magical. All I can say is WOW! Best stuff he’s ever done. MOL is going to knock your socks off! That’s a promise.
While it does not lessen the tragedy of the loss of such a talented and beloved writer, I would not be surprised to see the last volume of the Wheel of Time eventually written and published in a couple years, based on his unfinished draft, tapes, notes, and information shared with his family and friends.
Keith Lommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I didn't know he was sick. I had only read up to volume 9. I was planning on reading the rest once the final book came out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
This is sad news indeed!

I checked his blog just yesterday and read that he is still fighting and everything looked good so this is very unexpected and sad news.

I read all the books in the series so far and was always hoping he'd manage to finish the tale somehow.

I guess somebody will finish it, but I doubt it'll be the same quality as the first 11 volumes. Finishing a story as complex as WOT takes a lot of genius. Even somebody who has all the details of how the sotry is supposed to run won't be able to write it easily...
I'm going to read it anyway, just to know how it all ends, but I#m not getting my hopes too high...

R.I.P. Mr. Jordan!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I think I only read the first four or five books of the Wheel of Times series, but I remember that I liked them. Only, there were so many other books that I wanted to read first that I decided to postpone this series.

My condolences to his family.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Unhappy

I will admit that I loved the first couple of books and then I hated the next 3. I swear he was getting paid by the word and not to write a good compelling story. I had to give up ready the following books. I have never been so disappointed about a series development as I was with this series.

I like Jordan’s other works, just not this one.

I send my condolences to his family, and his fans. Thanks Mr. Jordan for the body of your work.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Damn - I wish he'd finished the series. I wonder if he left sufficient notes for someone else to do so? Very sad news.
He left an outline and notes. and described in detail to his wife and brother what was planned. Jordan intended to wrap the series in book twelve, no matter how long that book turned out to be in the process. Among other things, he had another series (SF rather than fantasy) that he wanted to write, but had to get WoT out of the way first.

His wife Harriet was also his editor at Tor Books (and used to be Tor's Editor in Chief). We can feel sure the book will be completed. We simply don't know who will be tapped.

It's an interesting question, however: if you had your choice, who would you want to see pick up the unfinished manuscript and complete the last book?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
It is rather apropos that he has passed before he finished the series actually.

I gave up about book 7. I may finish the series if/when the final book comes out.

Nonetheless, I am sad for the scifi/fantasy community.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I don't know the origin, but on another list I saw that Piers Anthony has been selected to finish the series.

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but the person who posted the message is normally on the mark.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
I don't know the origin, but on another list I saw that Piers Anthony has been selected to finish the series.

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but the person who posted the message is normally on the mark.
I suppose it's possible. Anthony is also published by Tor, and certainly could do it. Whether he'll do it well is another matter.

He might: he demonstrated in early works that he could write, and turn out quality material. He simply discovered that endless Xanth retreads sell. (Anthony uses money made from his writing to buy undeveloped virgin land near him in Florida and keep it virgin and undeveloped. He goes where the sales are. I admire the impulse, but haven't been able to read the resulting work in years.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't been able to read a new Xanth novel in years.

Still, Mr. Anthony certainly has demonstrated his ability to write book #12 in a series (even if he does insist on calling it a trilogy ).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #15
tspin46
tspin46 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 500
My suggestion would be Terry Goodkind. Wizard's First Rule started off as a great beginning. The series promises to be as long as WoT and each book drags slower. He seems to have found the same formula as Robert Jordan. It would work.

Sorry to see Robert Jordan pass. I hope to survive to read volume 12.
tspin46 is offline   Reply With Quote