Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
Dedicated E-Readers: They're History

From IT World: Dedicated E-Readers: They're History
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
ad nausum.

Ipad useless outdoors

Ipad backlit LCD vs e ink

Ipad larger, heavier and less portable than a Nook or Kindle

iPad won't break the $200 mark for years to come.

Last edited by boswd; 06-21-2010 at 11:12 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
iPad won't break the $200 mark for years to come.
Of course, it took Amazon almost 3 years to break the $200 mark...and I don't think it was entirely their plan to do so today.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
What about $100 Android devices? A nook is android plus e-ink, minus the apps.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
There are lots of people for whom _reading_ is just one multi-task among many. Read for a couple of minutes, listen to some music, do some facebook, some of this, some of that, whatever. Hopefully there are enough of us who just want to read that the e-ink reader will prosper.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
To quote from the article

Quote:
My reasoning is quite simple. Everything a Nook or a Kindle can do an Apple iPad can do better. And, what's far more important, an iPad can do far, far more.
Why should I buy a $50 mp3 player the size of a USB thumbdrive when I can spend $300 and buy an iPod touch because it can do everything a $50 mp3 player does and more.

The iPod touch is a fine mp3 player, but sometimes people just want a basic device that does one job and does it well. I for one do not want an iPad or any other tablet with an LCD screen to be bought for the primary task of reading. The author is just writing a far stretched article. Proper research of the market (and history of other devices) suggest there is room for both cheap dedicated devices and expensive multi purpose devices.

In my view what potentially may come from todays announcements of price drops of the Nook and Kindle (and new $149 wifi-only Nook) is I feel companies such as B&N and Amazon will make next to zero profit on the devices and all their ebook income will be derived from content.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Do we really need a new thread every time some idiot writes a column, article or blog post about tablets killing dedicated readers/e-ink devices?

The arguments have been done to death on here in a gazillion threads since the announcement of the iPad.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I feel companies such as B&N and Amazon will make next to zero profit on the devices and all their ebook income will be derived from content.
I agree that it is likely, and it can be done.

If we assume that not all the customers reach a point where they refuse to buy from their stores because of DRM, then content can definitely overcome the loss on devices.

Console manufacturers have been doing it for ages. They sell the actual consoles at a loss (per unit), but make up the difference with the sales of video games and accessories. And, in the case of Xbox Live, subscription fees to their online content.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
My reasoning is quite simple. Everything a Nook or a Kindle can do an Apple iPad can do better. And, what's far more important, an iPad can do far, far more.
Second time this has been quoted, sure, but, even though it's been said...

reading outdoors
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post

Console manufacturers have been doing it for ages. They sell the actual consoles at a loss (per unit), but make up the difference with the sales of video games and accessories.
Except Nintendo, who made a hardware profit off the Wii from the start.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
And somehow still priced it the cheapest?
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
And somehow still priced it the cheapest?
You don't need the latest technology or most features...just the best mix of both
Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
There are lots of people for whom _reading_ is just one multi-task among many. Read for a couple of minutes, listen to some music, do some facebook, some of this, some of that, whatever. Hopefully there are enough of us who just want to read that the e-ink reader will prosper.
It's precisely because of my propensity to multitask that I want a dedicated reader. A device that does what I do for extended periods of time (read books) very well, and another device (blackberry) that handles all my communication and music needs very well. I can keep an eye on my mail without having to interrupt my reading, because my mailboxes are on another device.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
True, but that's because the Wii doesn't have as much 'next-gen' tech as the PS3 and 360. It was simple enough to make that they were never going to lose money, unless no one bought them. Which, obviously, they did.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It's not about the iPad rather the slew of iPad-like devices that will avalanche the market soon
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote