Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Can metadata be written to a pdf without conversion?

I vaguely recall seeing in the What's New notes for Calibre some sort of new feature for writing metadata to a pdf? I think it was within the last 6 months or so, but am not sure.

Can this be done without a conversion? How? I've poked around in the menus and the settings but couldn't find anything relating to this.

I am most interested in having the Title and the Series picked up by the pdf.

Hopefully this recollection is not just my imagination or faulty memory at work!

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
I guess it works only when you save to disk. And it's a pity...
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The feature you're looking for is Embed Metadata, you'll probably need to add it to a toolbar/menu via Preferences->Toolbars.

It was implemented in 1.41 ==>> calibre - What's new

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, BetterRed. That's exactly what I need. I was on 1.40 so I hadn't yet seen that option.

The feature I actually saw awhile back was added to version 1.25, but in looking back, that appears to be just something for XMP metadata that is done during conversion.

So I installed 1.48, tested the embed feature and it works pretty well. However there are some instances (maybe 1 in 7) where it won't write to a pdf. I get error messages like this:

Quote:
The PDF format of Tastes of Italia - 2010-12:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 363, in set_file_type_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\builtins.py", line 502, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\pdf.py", line 160, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\podofo\__init__.py", line 41, in set_metadata
Exception: Failed to set PDF metadata: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 274, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\podofo\__init__.py", line 57, in set_metadata_
Error: ePdfError_InvalidDataType
Does anyone know what this means and can it be fixed?

--Pat
Old 09-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open a bug report and attach a pdf file that fails
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
PatNY
Zennist

Thanks, Kovid. I just opened up a bug report.

--Pat
Old 09-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Thanks, BetterRed. That's exactly what I need. I was on 1.40 so I hadn't yet seen that option.

The feature I actually saw awhile back was added to version 1.25, but in looking back, that appears to be just something for XMP metadata that is done during conversion.

So I installed 1.48, tested the embed feature and it works pretty well. However there are some instances (maybe 1 in 7) where it won't write to a pdf. I get error messages like this:

Does anyone know what this means and can it be fixed?

--Pat
@PatNY - workaround - when that happens, ~15% of books, and if I care about it, I clear existing metadata with exiftool and try re-doing the Embed, works for ~80% of the 15%. The X% are guesses based on small sample size.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote