Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #2161
Astor
Astor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
How to connect my kindle3 using ssh from mc?
In terminal I put:
Code:
ssh root@192.168.1.4 -i ./key.key
(key.key is my private key)
After some time got this:
Quote:
Welcome to Kindle!

#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]#
So, I have shell access to kindle. But how to browse files using mc?
TNX!
Astor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #2162
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, there's no mc on the kindle. You either would have to install it there (e.g. using optware or debian - but I would not recommend it). Or you just use it on your desktop. Check mc's menu (F9), in the "left" and "right" menus it should have an entry called "shell link...". You can use that to connect your desktop mc to the kindle's SSH daemon. Check mc's help page for the syntax!
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #2163
Astor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Well, there's no mc on the kindle. You either would have to install it there (e.g. using optware or debian - but I would not recommend it). Or you just use it on your desktop. Check mc's menu (F9), in the "left" and "right" menus it should have an entry called "shell link...". You can use that to connect your desktop mc to the kindle's SSH daemon. Check mc's help page for the syntax!
I know how to use ssh from mc, because I actually use it for transfering files via some pc's. But where should I have to input private key's path? In mc's "shell link..." I have to just input <name@address>, but there's no option to input private key.
Thanks anyway!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #2164
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Ah, OK. I think you should create a ~/.ssh/config file with a config section, specifying the key. However, I don't know if mc can properly ask for a key passphrase, so it might sense to have an ssh-agent running, too.

The section in the file would look like:

Host kindle
Hostname 192.168.1.4
IdentityFile ~/key.key
User root

and you can connect using "kindle" as the host to connect to.

See ssh_config(5), ssh-agent(1).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #2165
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Well, there's no mc on the kindle. You either would have to install it there ...
In case you hadn't seen it, I use this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaurian View Post
Here is compiled MidnightCommander for use in Kindle term. Fully functional.
Just extract it to flash root (/mnt/us/) and start it with:

cd /mnt/us/local/terminal/
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #2166
Astor

Quote:
Ah, OK. I think you should create a ~/.ssh/config file with a config section, specifying the key. However, I don't know if mc can properly ask for a key passphrase, so it might sense to have an ssh-agent running, too.

The section in the file would look like:

Host kindle
Hostname 192.168.1.4
IdentityFile ~/key.key
User root

and you can connect using "kindle" as the host to connect to.

See ssh_config(5), ssh-agent(1).
BIG THANKS! It works!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #2167
StreetGeek
StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: KO3
I tried to change the font on my new KK and now I cant see anything but menus. I can't even "update" I guess I will have to factory reset and report back =[

Edit------

So, I managed to get the thing up and running again though when i tried to uninstall and reinstall the fonts hack it happened again. I had to go back in and delete a font.. The font I tried to put on was the droid sans.. and Borked the whole thing. I had overwrote the files in the linkfont/fonts folder.

Any question on what do to and how to change my font safely?

Last edited by StreetGeek; 12-11-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Kinda Fixed
StreetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #2168
Portia
Portia doesn't litterPortia doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheb View Post
Hello,

I have a kindle 3 /3G with fw 3.3. Should I use the 3.2.1 JB fw?

Are there any risks in having it jailbreaked?
I know very little, but that is what I did with my Kindle Keyboard with 3.3. Worked fine.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #2169
StreetGeek
StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: KO3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@harpangel36: Basically, don't remove stuff manually in the fonts folder, and if your OS asks you to overwrite some files when copying your new fonts, say 'yes' .

I overwrote the fonts then everything on my home screen didn't show up. .. I had to hard reboot it then delete a random font file int he linkfont/fonts folder to see
StreetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #2170
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@all:
Quote:
/!\ Be careful, if you miss a font, the hack won't be applied, so you shouldn't have any problem, but if for some reason, the Kindle software doesn't like one of your custom font, they'll be garbled, or invisible. Also, it may prevent you from actually _seeing_ the Settings page to do the restart. (And actually reading any books, also.) If that happens to you, try one of the three methods described earlier to reboot your Kindle. If you want to avoid this kind of issue, use the autoreboot feature Also, don't remove the other fonts found in the linkfonts/fonts folder. We need them, and the hack won't be applied if they're missing.

[...]

Again, if you're having issues with the Fonts hack (missing fonts, blank pages/menu, ...), do try to use one of the new freetype override settings! In the same vein, disable your Kindle's password before switching fonts, there's been reports that a messed up font will prevent the password box from popping up, in which case you won't be able to unlock your device... And that probably means a hard reset to factory defaults will be needed to clear things up, and that's never fun ;'(.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #2171
kiltedknite
kiltedknite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Exclamation HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

Hi,

I previously installed a jailbreak and SS hack on to my Kindle 3 Wifi. Since then I have lost the hard drive in the PC and the appropriate files.

The readme states that to remove the hack/jailbreak I should use the original unistaller that came with the package, but I can no longer find the package I originally downloaded.

The device and hack details are as follows:

Kindle 3 Wifi (B008) - Firmware V3.1
Screensaver Hack: Version 0.22.N (from info.txt)
Jailbreak: Version 0.7.N (from info.txt)

Does anyone know where I can find these packages so I can remove the hacks, or even just the relevant uninstall files?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kiltedknite; 12-21-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: slight amendment
kiltedknite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #2172
chad2010
chad2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
jailbreak 0.7

Try these...
Attached Files
File Type: bin update_jailbreak_0.7.N_k3w_uninstall.bin (1.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: bin update_ss_0.22.N_k3w_uninstall.bin (1.6 KB, 170 views)
chad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #2173
maniux
maniux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
@all:
Hi, I just bought my kindle dxg and played it for a few days.

After using font hack, I want to use the original kindle font for English and some other font for CJK. after editing font.properties-3, nothing had changed. My firmware was 2.5.8 and I don't want to upgrade to 3.x. and there is no CJK info in font.properties-2.

Does 2.x use font.properties-2 for font control?
If not, how can I accomplish my wish?

Thanks.
maniux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #2174
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kiltedknite: No, in fact, the readme states the *exact* opposite. You can safely use the latest uninstallers with these hacks.

@maniux: Nope, no specific CJK support on FW 2.x, you'll have to do it the hard way (through the Serif family).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #2175
kiltedknite
kiltedknite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I ran the latedt uninstaller for the screensaver hack and the linkss folder remains. Is that normal? Is it safe to remove manually?
kiltedknite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet