Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
yanathin
yanathin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
K3 Screen Saver Hack

I know a hacked firmware exists for the K2, but is there any way this same hack will work with the K3? My guess is that it will probably screw something up since it's a completely different device, even though the OS is relatively the same. I sold my nook and bought a K3, and so far that's the ONLY feature I miss - being able to use my own images for the screen saver.
yanathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I suspect there will soon be screensaver and font hacks available for the K3. I hope so anyway because I hate those pictures of dead authors. And although the K3 now offers three font choices, I prefer to use different fonts than the ones they supplied.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I think NiLuJe is waiting for his new Kindle 3, or has very recently received, so I'm sure it won't be long before he performs his wizardry!
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I should be getting my Kindle on Monday, so hopefully, I'll have some good news next week.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I should be getting my Kindle on Monday, so hopefully, I'll have some good news next week.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Awesome! I can't wait. Looking very forward to seeing my family instead of dead authors with the improved screen!
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
Awesome! I can't wait. Looking very forward to seeing my family instead of dead authors with the improved screen!
I think you should read this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=6
In short: no way to jailbreak anymore (at least for the moment).
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I think you should read this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=6
In short: no way to jailbreak anymore (at least for the moment).
Wow, huge bummer. I really liked having my own pictures for screen saver on my K2 and figured this would be hacked for the K3 as well. I hope someone is able to figure it out. Having more font options on K2 was also nice. I really wonder why Amazon does not have custom screen saver as an option with all Kindles. It seems kind of crazy that we have to have the pictures they choose as the screen saver. What harm could there be with having our own screen saver pictures?

Last edited by twister; 09-07-2010 at 09:34 AM.
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Slingsby
Slingsby began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
What harm could there be with having our own screen saver pictures?
The default screen savers function as ads, I think. Many are public domain authors but I'll guess you can pay money, too, for e-book versions of Emily Dickinson and Jane Austen etc.

And they function to brand the Kindle as something for "serious" (literary) readers. What's in there hmm? Oh, Jane Austen. Old books illuminated by monks or something. It's all very highbrow.
Slingsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Well, it looks like these hacks won't be hard at all.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1098081
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Given your versions of the SS and Font hacks were the first ones I ever installed on my K2i, clarknova, I think you might be about to ride in on a white horse and save the day for any K3 owners here who aren't afraid to try it out on the K3 ...
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Given your versions of the SS and Font hacks were the first ones I ever installed on my K2i, clarknova, I think you might be about to ride in on a white horse and save the day for any K3 owners here who aren't afraid to try it out on the K3 ...
Wish it was I who found it. But I don't have a K3. ecostin went and noticed the obvious, and deserves all credit (and lots of karma). Hopefully those with a K3 can write a quicky "jailbreak" script and get the hack packages ported over to the K3.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I never lost faith!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Well, it looks like these hacks won't be hard at all.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1098081
Well it wasn't hard but my Kindle died after installation.
Everything went fine, had my preferred screen savers and font back on my K3 and one day later suddenly I could not open the book I was reading, could not reacquire it from archives, could not open other books and when I tried to uninstall the hacks could not open the settings page. Clicking "Settings" just brings me back to the home page.

Amazon is sending me a new K3. Hopefully I won't be charged for it once the dig into the old one.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
Well it wasn't hard but my Kindle died after installation.
Everything went fine, had my preferred screen savers and font back on my K3 and one day later suddenly I could not open the book I was reading, could not reacquire it from archives, could not open other books and when I tried to uninstall the hacks could not open the settings page. Clicking "Settings" just brings me back to the home page.

Amazon is sending me a new K3. Hopefully I won't be charged for it once the dig into the old one.
I was safe. They refunded to me as soon as they received it. Actually, I think that they won't care at all about the software. It's not like you're overclocking it or something . They can still reset it and refurbish it. I think you're safe.

EDIT: Mine was jailbroken.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote