Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Siglerrn
Siglerrn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking Clueless Newbie in Montreal...

Hi all!
This is my first day (and post) on this website, and I have a few questions. I
have read several posts in the "which one should I buy" section, and am still trying to make a decision for myself. I am an avid reader, mostly fiction and non-fiction, and located in Canada, but travel 5 or more times a year to the U.S. I am just beginning to research the ebook devices, and don't know what the ebook's formats usually are, etc. Therefore, I have some confusion with which devise would be best based on what formats they support, etc. Any insightful advice is much, much appreciated!
Siglerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Honest answer? They're all good devices, and I'm sure you'd be happy with any. Presumably you want to buy commercial eBooks, so you want one with good support for commercial eBook formats.

Your main choices, I'd say, are the Sony Reader (which has its own eBook store, and uses its own format), and devices which support the popular "MobiPocket" eBook format, for which there are many different stores. The best support for MobiPocket at the present time is probably the CyBook Gen3 (which I have), but devices such as the BeBook or the Hanlin V3 are rapidly getting better in that area.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Siglerrn,
The first thing you need to do (to enable us to help you) is to narrow down what you like to read. For example, if you mainly want to read older works that are already in the public domain, a reader like the Jetbook might serve you very well (and when they support Mobipocket and ePub next year, it might serve you well for newer books as well.) On the other hand, if you want to read the latest books available, then Mobipocket support (including DRM support) might be high on your priority list.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
In addition to cruising through the forum topics, take a look at the wiki. You'll find a lot of technical information on all (or a serious majority) of the dedicated reading devices.

I own both a PRS-505 and a Kindle, so those are what I can speak most authoritatively about. I believe that you can actually by the Sony in Canada and that might be a good option for you. There are a large number of Sony users here on the forum who are strong advocates of that device. It's an excellent reader and I am very excited about the new cover with a Light Wedge. Hubby bought it for me a week or so ago and I'm enjoying the ability it gives me to read in low-light conditions.

Overall, though, my preferred device is the Kindle. While the Kindle is not sold in Canada and there is no wireless (cellular) connectivity for it within Canada, you could still purchase one if you can obtain a US credit card with a US mailing address. Once you own a Kindle, it's easy enough to buy books from Amazon, download to your computer and push to the Kindle via the USB cable. There are two main reasons why I prefer the Kindle -- the less-expensive availability of current releases from Amazon, and the ability to highlight and take notes and upload those to your PC.

Welcome to MobileRead. We're glad you found us.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Once you own a Kindle, it's easy enough to buy books from Amazon, download to your computer and push to the Kindle via the USB cable.
Only if you have a US credit card...

That's why I omitted the Kindle from my reply. It's an excellent machine, but it's really not terribly practical for people living outside the US at the present time, due to the difficulty of buying books.
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

That's why I omitted the Kindle from my reply. It's an excellent machine, but it's really not terribly practical for people living outside the US at the present time, due to the difficulty of buying books.
I've heard if you use a Paypal one time credit card number it is considered a US card.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:

True, but it may still be a more viable option for someone in Canada then someone in Europe or elsewhere.

A Large number of my Canadian Friends have aUS Credit Card for Things like this as a lot of things go on sale in the US First (and its usually easier and cheaper to buy it there)
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If the original poster has a US credit card, then the Kindle should certainly be high on their list of machines to consider.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you have a US credit card (with a US address), then buying the US version of the PRS-505 would also make more sense than the Canadian version. This is because there are some US-only ebooks in the Sony store. I'm not actually sure it matters where you buy the PRS-505, but it does matter where you register it from.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:

But I said that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsi
you could still purchase one if you can obtain a US credit card with a US mailing address.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Siglerrn
Siglerrn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all the great responses, definately has given me some starting points. I like to read a variety of things from classics to new fiction to the latest scientific studies in nursing (i'm an r.n.), so whatever gives me the broadest range would be great. I CAN get a u.s. credit card probably, since i maintain an address in the states, but I didn't know if the Kindle would be worth the trouble of obtaining a U.S. credit card. I have been looking at the Sony PRS 505,the Gen3, and the Bebook due to my location. I am in Montreal, Quebec. Is the Mobipocket format fairly popular with most of the ebooks, besides Sony and Kindle?
Siglerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siglerrn View Post
Is the Mobipocket format fairly popular with most of the ebooks, besides Sony and Kindle?
Definitely, Mobipocket probably has the best selection outside of Amazon's which mainly has a few more exclusives and slightly better pricing on bestsellers.

After all, Amazon does own Mobipocket, even if they are keeping things separate.

Its pretty easy to format shift Mobi and Lit ebooks, so while the Gen3 and Bebook give the benefit of being able to read those Mobi books without conversion, you could always get the Sony and convert the books.

While my personal preference is for the Gen3 You have to decide what''s the most important thing for you and which format support you really want.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote