Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Angry The iPad can not Print ???

What is this? They tell you the device can make beautiful documents in the classiest way ever possible and I can't print them? How am I going to show those beautiful documents, ship my iPad to the person I want to see them?

Every netbook can print why can't the iPad?
Most any dog can reproduce, why can't the iPad reproduce a document I've created?
I have no need for a castrated computer, nor do I want to perform a cesarian section just to print a simple document. Because so far, the only way of printing is with an iPhone ap and it involves the use of an other computer...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
...How am I going to show those beautiful documents, ship my iPad to the person I want to see them?
Perhaps they expect you to share them via email. I don't know. The iPad isn't marketed as a computer, maybe that's the reason.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Perhaps they expect you to share them via email. I don't know. The iPad isn't marketed as a computer, maybe that's the reason.
As a creater, you can't send everything over email.
If a device is meant to create, said device must reproduce creation.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
on the iTouch, the Note app has the ability to send a note via email. I would suppose that other apps, such as the coming iWorks suite, will provide a way to share/send/print their output to a computer or a printer. If they do not then why buy them?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As a creater, you can't send everything over email.
If a device is meant to create, said device must reproduce creation.
My impression (now) is that the device is primarily for consuming (Apple approved) content not creating content.
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
My impression (now) is that the device is primarily for consuming (Apple approved) content not creating content.
Then, why tout it as a creation device?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

More than 30% of Job's keynote was on the presentation of software that made creation of documents easy with the Touch interface.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Then, why tout it as a creation device?
I guess you're referring to the iWork app?

The iWork for iPad blurb on Apple's site doesn't mention anything about being able to print, just being able to send.

How would one install printer drivers to be able to print?

Last edited by SCION; 02-19-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
I guess your referring to the iWork app?

The iWork for iPad blurb on Apple's site doesn't mention anything about being able to print, just being able to send.
Exactly my point. If I want to print my document, I have to send it to my other computers to print from there.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

I know where you're coming from. I wanted the iPad to work for me as well, but in another capacity.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Woah, Yvan - where's this coming from? As I thought I'd explained (or tried to) in another thread, the iPhone OS doesn't currently handle printing well 'cos, you know, it's a 'phone OS, and how many people need to print from a 'phone?

I agree, it would be a knuckleheaded move by Apple not to have some kind of printing facility enabled on iPad, especially with all the effort that's clearly gone into iWork for iPad, but the truth is we just don't know what the iPad will be like when it ships in six weeks time.

To start a thread with a title like this (albeit with question marks) is really inflammatory, as are comments like "every netbook can print, so why can't the iPad?" when you just don't know if it can print or not. To get wound up about responses from people offering printing workarounds from the iPhone and iTouch is just silly; there's every chance that iPad will ship with a newer version of the OS.

I don't know the answer to the question, nor do you, or anyone else outside of Apple.<shrug>
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Sure you will be able to print from the iPad. I expect it to work identical to the iPhone over Bonjour.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
my iphone prints fine! bdirectly to my wireless hp printer. I assume Ipod will do the same
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I expect it to work identical to the iPhone over Bonjour.
I thought Bonjour only worked on 'jailbroken' iPhones; is it fully supported now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
my iphone prints fine! bdirectly to my wireless hp printer.
This is with HP iPrint App, yes? I thought that was only for printing photos??

TIA, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
What exactly has printing got to do with mobileread.com? I thought the ethos of the site was to promote ways of reading eBooks. If you want to print a book, go to a bookshop; if you want to do word processing check out mobilewordprocessing.com

I know it has become essential to post at least a couple of anti-iPad items a day, but this is getting ridiculous. Personally I am pretty concerned that it can't make toast *or* walk the dog - but I am raising those points elsewhere!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote