Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Future proofing and LRF...

I was wondering how easy is the conversion of LRF to other formats, being a closed format it probably will end up like the famed beta of sony. So how portable is this format, and will caliber eventually support its conversion to epup or other Grail like formats. Wondering, as much of my collection is starting to consist of lrf... would hate to see it scrapped because the format dies and its just as "easy" as pdf to convert .

anyone has any ideas on this?

Last edited by Student1; 03-25-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'd recommend you standardize on LIT/ePUB/MOBI. Converting LRF is doable, the results are not as bad as converting PDF, but not as nice as the formats I mentioned. LIT/ePUB/MOBI are easy to format shift and all yield the same quality result. I've standardized my books on LIT because it's so well supported and because I use Text-To-Speech.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I keep an html of all my conversions, so as to be able to shift formats easily if I change devices.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
as a general note LRF is like PDF in that it contains no semantic information nand is not fully reflowable. So dont use LRF for archival. That said, converting LRF to HTML is trivial (would need about a day to implement in calibre, and the results on average would be significantly better than PDF. Still, dont use LRF.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
as a general note LRF is like PDF in that it contains no semantic information nand is not fully reflowable. So dont use LRF for archival. That said, converting LRF to HTML is trivial (would need about a day to implement in calibre, and the results on average would be significantly better than PDF. Still, dont use LRF.
Thank you for the warning! For some things there are no options, like for pdfread, it outputs scanned pdf books to lrf but not epub so pretty much stuck until this is fixed! For these lrf conversion to epub would be fantastic! Anyway thanks for letting me know, i'll put a break on the lrf and get my next books in lit or epub!

Last edited by Student1; 03-26-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
Thank you for the warning! For some things there are no options, like for pdfread, it outputs scanned pdf books to lrf but not epub so pretty much stuck until this is fixed!
For those files it's okay to keep them as a LRF, the reason is PDFRead converts the text to an image which is not reflowable . Stripping the images out of an LRF is very easy. A tool on this site for a tool called LRFTools does this and also converts LRF to ePUB.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote