Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds like a fixed layout ePub (possibly). I believe Apple, B&N and Kobo all have some sort of variant of this beast. Kobo's and Apple's flavor are pretty much identical... unzip the ePub and look for <option name="fixed-layout">true</option> in one of the files in the META-INF folder (most likely "com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml")

B&N, very strangely, relies simply on a portion of the file-name to process their "Digital Replica (DRP) formatted ePubs. B&N's DRP ePubs will have a file-name that ends in "_drp.epub."

All of these files stray from the standard ePub spec in various proprietary way(s).

All of which means (if what you have is indeed one of these) that you're going to have the exact same issues with trying to convert one of these files as people do when trying to convert PDFs. Often times, it's just not worth the manual effort involved.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
Mygrrls
Mygrrls began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
When I click on inspect in the problem areas I see the following:

<div id="book columns">
<div id="book inner">

It says that it is inherited from div#book-columns

The hard copy of this book has several columns on each page which I believe is in the ebook also. Is there a program that can be used to edit the file?
Mygrrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is the title/author of this eBook in case anyone has it or access to it and can have a look.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygrrls View Post
When I click on inspect in the problem areas I see the following:

<div id="book columns">
<div id="book inner">

It says that it is inherited from div#book-columns

The hard copy of this book has several columns on each page which I believe is in the ebook also. Is there a program that can be used to edit the file?
The bottom line is that you have a badly formatted ebook. You can get specific help in correcting ePub books in the Workshop forum, the Epub forum, or possibly the Sigil forum. Unfortunately this does not seem to be a calibre issue.

My advice is to find a different source ebook to convert from or actually buy the ebook.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #20
Mygrrls
Mygrrls began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
You are right. When I opened the book in Sigil it was a complete and utter mess. I was able to fix my problem though. Thanks everyone for all the help. It was greatly appreciated.
Mygrrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert