Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Any way of reading blurbs directly on the Kindle?

As Calibre users are well aware, book blurbs are a nice display feature when clicking through booklists. But unless I'm mistaken there seems to be no way to display this metadata on the Kindle itself, which is a definite shortcoming. Would be great to 'preview' your potential reads on the K3 just as you can in Calibre.

Or am I wrong?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Have a look in the calibre options, I'm sure I noticed a setting to embed extra metadata that is unsupported at the start of the book so you can view it after opening the book. Not an ideal solution, but likely the only generic way to allow access to extra info.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Revolutionarybum
Revolutionarybum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've had the same problem, not remembering what a book was about etc. The easiest way I've found is to make a list of book blurbs or descriptions, I make a different one for each group. Then I use a very small simple app that sits in the doc (I use a iMac) I don't know if theres a Windows version =( It's called "Kindle Blast" You just copy what you want click Kindle Blast type in a name and it's sent right to your kindle (Needs to be plugged in BTW)
Here's the only place I've found to download it.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Automat...le-Blast.shtml

Developers description: Kindle Blast is a free and easy to use Automator workflow for easily putting text onto a Kindle.

Kindle Blast will provide you with a quick and easy way to get text from your Mac to your Kindle.

How To Use (make sure your Kindle is connected to your computer and the disk is mounted):
· When you are somewhere where there is text that you want to read on your Kindle (for example, a long web article), highlight the entire body of the text and copy it to the clipboard (as in, regular Command-C)
· Click on Kindle Blast in your Dock
· You will be asked for a title. Type in a meaningful title - the file name will be based on this, and the Kindle will use it nicely as the document title - so format and capitalize it in the most human-readable way
· Press "OK" and Kindle Blast does the rest
Revolutionarybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Have a look in the calibre options, I'm sure I noticed a setting to embed extra metadata that is unsupported at the start of the book so you can view it after opening the book. Not an ideal solution, but likely the only generic way to allow access to extra info.
This is what I use.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
where do you find that setting? I looked, but I'm still afraid to get too deeply into the guts of Calibre - I'm afraid I might mess up something accidentally.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
where do you find that setting? I looked, but I'm still afraid to get too deeply into the guts of Calibre - I'm afraid I might mess up something accidentally.
It's under "Preferences" --> "Common Options" (Under "Conversion") --> "Structure Detection"

Make sure "Insert metadata as page at start of book" is checked. Be sure to Save/Apply before exiting that screen.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
With Calibre, choose 'Convert Books', in 'Structure Detection' tick 'Insert metadata as page...'.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Thanks! now I suppose I have to re-convert my books to actually make the change.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Thanks! now I suppose I have to re-convert my books to actually make the change.
Yes.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I find this like the biggest minus in kindle. How can it not support metadata. Ebook formats are so good because you can store all the important info. Sellers give us books with metadata in it and kindle can't read it?! I was really surprised in a bad way when I saw no way to view metadata.
Now instead of actually using my kindle for browsing my books I have to always browse them on calibre. Choosing according to title isn't my preference. So again I am stuck with my computer, can't use kindle for travel without computer or anything. Need two devices instead of one.
Any idea why kindle doesn't do metadata? Is it the limitation of the mobi format? If that's the case why did amazon have to use such a format.

As I understand Kindle Blast just makes a mobi or some kind of file? It doesn't give you a blurb. It's just a text file with all the blurbs?

Well, the biggest minus is the lack of pdf support, but I knew about it before buying and I can live with limited support and convert unreadable pdfs. But I didn't saw anything about metadata anywhere

Last edited by Noughty; 11-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
I find this like the biggest minus in kindle. How can it not support metadata. Ebook formats are so good because you can store all the important info. Sellers give us books with metadata in it and kindle can't read it?! I was really surprised in a bad way when I saw no way to view metadata.
Now instead of actually using my kindle for browsing my books I have to always browse them on calibre. Choosing according to title isn't my preference. So again I am stuck with my computer, can't use kindle for travel without computer or anything. Need two devices instead of one.
Any idea why kindle doesn't do metadata? Is it the limitation of the mobi format? If that's the case why did amazon have to use such a format.

As I understand Kindle Blast just makes a mobi or some kind of file? It doesn't give you a blurb. It's just a text file with all the blurbs?

Well, the biggest minus is the lack of pdf support, but I knew about it before buying and I can live with limited support and convert unreadable pdfs. But I didn't saw anything about metadata anywhere
Barnes and Noble NOOK and the Kobo are the same way. No recognition of metadata.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I did wanted to ask if other readers read metadata. It seems really strange that an ereader doesn't make full use of all functions of ebook formats. I know that some formats can store metadata in itself, publishers often include metadata in their books. I'd like to read that metadata since I buy a book with metadata. It's like buying ice cream in a cone and getting just ice cream and no cone DD

I also just tried to check if you can see to which collections a book belongs, seems the only way is to jsut choose add to collections and go through all the list. It should show which collections book belongs to in book details window.

I guess browsing totally sucks on kindle. Couldn't suck more (no tags, no blurbs, not even a search for a book, only book content search - there is a difference) Kindle definitely has room for improvement.

Last edited by Noughty; 11-25-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote