Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
filw
filw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Landscaped PDF Question for DXG

Here's a question I haven't been able to find an answer for:

How does the Kindle DXG handle PDFs that are meant to be read in landscape orientation?

I've read a lot about Kindles and PDFs, but they all seem to assume that the PDF is portrait-oriented.

So, if you have a PDF that is meant to be read landscaped, and you flip your Kindle to landscape orientation, does is show the whole PDF and does it fill the screen?

If you flip it to portrait mode, what does it show?

Thanks to anyone who can answer.
filw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
phiznlil
phiznlil began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Whenever I have a pdf I want to read on my Kindle I send it to my name@free.kindle.com address with "convert" as the subject, so I get it delivered by wireless to my Kindle as an .azw file. Therefore I can't exactly answer your question, except to say that I do generally use landscape mode and have no problem reading the converted files - they look fine.

Last edited by phiznlil; 06-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
phiznlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
filw

Thanks, phiznlil, but I specifically need to know about how the Kindle DX Graphite handles landscape-oriented PDFs. I'l like to use it to display collection of chord/lyric sheets for jamming or performing. I have about 500 single-sheet PDFs, and they need to be displayed so I don't need to scroll around in the middle of a song, hence the need for the DX's bigger screen.

I've attached a sample PDF if someone can try it out.

I'd also be interested in knowing how it renders when converted to an .azw file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf I've Been All Around This World.pdf (6.7 KB, 228 views)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
do not know about kindle dxg, but on pocket book 902 looks fine, complete and no scroll requried to see it on landscape mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filw View Post
Thanks, phiznlil, but I specifically need to know about how the Kindle DX Graphite handles landscape-oriented PDFs. I'l like to use it to display collection of chord/lyric sheets for jamming or performing. I have about 500 single-sheet PDFs, and they need to be displayed so I don't need to scroll around in the middle of a song, hence the need for the DX's bigger screen.

I'd also be interested in knowing how it renders when converted to an .azw file.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by filw View Post

I don't have a DX but I tried the doc on my K3. Manually turning the doc to landscape creates a good image but with small lettering, of course. The DX should be acceptable because it has nearly 3X the screen space of the K3. Converting? When you convert the document, it forces it to reflow. I tried it and reflowing does NOT work very well. Like many PDF conversions, it created a jumbled mess. If you get a DX, turning it sideways automatically changes the view to landscape. Good luck!

Last edited by TimW; 06-07-2011 at 02:36 PM.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
filw

Thanks for the info, folks!

Skydive, the PB902 is on my shortlist, too.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
It works fine

I loaded your pdf and it works just as you would want it to. When the DX is held in portrait orientation, the pdf file is fit to the width of the screen, making the text too small to read without glasses. Rotating the DX to landscape orientation, the pdf is also fit to the new width of the screen and is completely readable, with the entire page displayed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42047.gif
Views:	185
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	72502   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42048.gif
Views:	216
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	72503  
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

If your PDF’s are all the same as the one you have posted the Kindle DXG will cope with them perfectly in landscape mode.

Down you have a photo from your example on the Kindle DXG ( the real screen, and not a captured “screen” from the Kindle screen capture function).

Tested also with Duokan (read the forums to know what this is), and it looks even better as you can crop the white margins at will and darken the text.

My advice: count the DXG on.

Best regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	72504  
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
filw

Thank you, Mark and DD! Your replies and screenshots were very helpful!

Tags
dxg, kindle, landscape, landscape mode, pdf