Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Kilowatt
Kilowatt began at the beginning.

Device: Oyo
Unhappy Metasearch (Ctrl-D) for Author, Title is not working ...

Hi,

after searching in the Forum I start a new thread, because i am not able to do a Metasearch (Ctrl-D) for PDF-Books with no ISBN ?

Trying in ISBNdb.... I get the hits and correct Books ???

I looked around to change some settings but cannot find any to modify search for isbn or google books ?

Can somebody tell me whats the secret about ?

I am using latest build (0.7.22) but the same was before...

Thx,

KW from Austria

Last edited by Kilowatt; 10-07-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Corrected Post
Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
In the search bar put

Code:
formats:"=PDF" and ISBN:false
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Kilowatt

Thx for your reply, maybe I didn't tell you my Problem exactly enough.

I mean when doing a Metaserach (Strg-D) I get no results not searching on my local DB.

Hope anyboy can help me.

thx,

KW
Old 10-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Kilowatt

Once your problems are sorted out, please feel free to use the "introduce myself" thread link below.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Kilowatt

Hello back,

nice idea, just done :-)
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilowatt View Post
Thx for your reply, maybe I didn't tell you my Problem exactly enough.
I mean when doing a Metaserach (Strg-D) I get no results not searching on my local DB.
Hope anyboy can help me.
thx,
KW
I read both of your posts, and I'm still not quite sure what the problem is. Are you trying to search your local Calibre library for books or are you trying to find metadata for a book from one of the online sources? If you are trying to find metadata online, do you want it located by isbn that you supply or by author/title?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Perhaps this will help: Calibre uses multiple sources for metadata online. There's no obvious sign as to which source each item of metadata comes from. It will use isbn to override other data if isbn is filled in. If it is not filled in, it will attempt to find the information using author and title. Results from the searches are combined in the screen you see. When you get no results, you should delete the isbn and try with author and/or title. Using title only, with only the most distinctive word in the title may be the best last resort.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Kilowatt

Thx for the info, i cleared all ISBN Data (checked it in Database) and when I use (ctrl-D) Metasearch I get the Info nothing found and the message in the Meta-Search Window :

[ Google Books : Start tag expected ]

Maybe that helps ?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Thx for the info, i cleared all ISBN Data (checked it in Database) and when I use (ctrl-D) Metasearch I get the Info nothing found and the message in the Meta-Search Window :

[ Google Books : Start tag expected ]

Maybe that helps ?
Does this happen for all books, or just one? Try adding an empty book, Edit the title to "Chthon" and hit Fetch Metadata. Does that have this error for you? It works for me.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Kilowatt

Hi,

just the same, i have my Key for ISBNDB and when querying for Chthon or what ever I enter I get the Warning :

Konnte Metadaten nicht abrufen von :
Google Books: Start Tag expected.

In english :
Could not read Metadata from :

:-( really don't know what to do there. Same is in a different Install on other PC and new DB ?

That happens for all books ...
Greets KW
Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:

That happens for all books ...
All i can suggest is to uninstall and reinstall. If it happens for you on other systems, or after the above, it must be something unique about your computer(s). Otherwise, we'd be hearing of this problem from many people. Are you possibly running some custom plugins?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd guess your internet connection is going through a proxy that is returning some sort of html page as an error message when trying to connect to google books. Look for stale proxy settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Kilowatt

Hi,

I did a complete resinstall, a new install on a other PC and MAC and I have tried 4 different Internet connections.

Tried it again during a massive Download of Oracle Install-Files and oh wondre some ISBN-calls where successfull ??? Is ther the possibility, that if calls are to fast, the Webservices decline and stop working ?

Is there a chance to log and protokoll the whole [Ctrl-d] Session for Meta-Data ?

Thx for your help.

Wolfgang
Old 10-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can run fetches from the command line using fetch-ebook-metadata to debug.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, isbn, title