Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #121
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
Plus with tweaks you can put a giant comment next to it explaining all the options and variations when they are complex as is the case with the search the internet and the one I am working on.
The plugin customization does nothing else than poping up a dialog with a description (analogy to a comment in tweaks) and one input field (analogy to a tweak variable assignment). If the comment is really giant then it may not fit into the default size dialog but the dialog size can always be resized by the user simply by dragging.
Quote:
For future reference though is there an example somewhere I could look at?
You can have a look at the SSH plugin - that is actually perhaps a bit more complex example already because I wanted to have default values pre-filled in the input field + I wanted several input values, so I employed some basic parsing for that. I guess for your plugins you typically only need 1-2 input values and no default value appearing in the input field in which case the use is very simple. I actually found out about the plugin customization from the documentation, it is well explained there.

Basically the only major restriction is just one input field (at the moment)

Last edited by janvanmaar; 12-20-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #122
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Oooo!
You did it again
I was just thinking that it would be nice to ALSO be able to check an EPUB with Flightcrew with a single click

, All it needs is a "Kitchen Sink (with a book in it)" for an Icon
Haha, glad it peaked your interest.

I don't think it would cope with multiple entries for the same format type at the moment though - did you want to have both Sigil and FlightCrew configured for EPUB for instance, or just FlightCrew?

It wouldn't be too major to allow it to support both. Perhaps an extra column for the menu title to make the menu items unique and allow you to differentiate them in the sub-menu. In which case I should make the change sooner rather than later before too many people download it...
Old 12-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #123
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi kiwidude,

You solved the issue with special characters in Search the Internet.

Just tried your new plugin and I think maybe, again, there's a problem with special character

I think it's related to my folder's name for calibre, in French : "Bibliothèque Calibre"....Sorry for that

Sigil doesn't like it

See picture attached. Last line says : Path not found.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #124
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
Hi kiwidude,

You solved the issue with special characters in Search the Internet.

Just tried your new plugin and I think maybe, again, there's a problem with special character

I think it's related to my folder's name for calibre, in French : "Bibliothèque Calibre"....Sorry for that
Thanks for pointing that out. It will be fixed in the next version I will push up soon with some other changes to support multiple applications. If you want to get it working in the mean-time, just add this line at the bottom of open_format_externally_plugin.py just before the line that says "if iswindows":
path_to_book = path_to_book.encode('utf-8')
Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #125
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
... You can have a look at the SSH plugin -...
Thanks very much for all of that info. Definitely it will be something I will take a look at in future. For configuring "Search the internet" and "Open format externally" plugins it is a fairly complex array expression that would need a big multi-line edit area so I'll stick with how they are for now. Definitely would be nicer in future for consistency to configure it within the plugin though like you managed to.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #126
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Ok, I've just pushed a new version of the "Open format externally" plugin which should better handle foreign language titles and also multiple entries in the sub-menu for the same format. So for instance if you have multiple EPUB editors or applications you can configure them as individual menu items.

In addition I have added support for command line arguments if the application you are launching needs them. So you can think of this plugin now as a fairly generic application launcher for a book format that should hopefully have flexibility for most situations.

To support these changes I have changed the structure of the configured tweak menu inserting two new columns. So the few people who jumped right on the very first version today should re-read the new tweak text in the post or readme.txt in the latest zip.

Enjoy.

Last edited by kiwidude; 12-20-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #127
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
I was just thinking that it would be nice to ALSO be able to check an EPUB with Flightcrew with a single click
Ok, so in "theory" the latest version should support configuring both Sigil and FlightCrew for an EPUB.

I say "in theory" because the current FlightCrew I could find (0.7.1b) has a few limitations. Namely that the GUI exe does not take command line arguments (perhaps suggest it as a feature request if not there already). You can instead use the current CLI version which does take arguments, however all the output will be output to an invisible command window...

I'm sure there are ways around this. The easiest would be to wrap the FlightCrew console app with a batch file which pumps the output to a text file. The second could be a combination of launching a command window shell rather than FlightCrew directly with arguments so the window does not close. Or you could tweak the FlightCrew gui source code or pester the author to support a filename argument to FlightCrew-gui.exe.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #128
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Haha, glad it peaked your interest.

I don't think it would cope with multiple entries for the same format type at the moment though - did you want to have both Sigil and FlightCrew configured for EPUB for instance, or just FlightCrew?

It wouldn't be too major to allow it to support both. Perhaps an extra column for the menu title to make the menu items unique and allow you to differentiate them in the sub-menu. In which case I should make the change sooner rather than later before too many people download it...
I want it ALL

Sigil to Edit
FC to validate
Calibre to view

Can you do a (optional) sub-menu
EPUB <submenu> Label : Program call ... <endsub-menu>

EPUB
"Edit" : "Sigil.exe ";
"Validate" : "Flightcrew.exe ";
"Alt-View" : "Firefox.exe " /* uses EPUBReader */

Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #129
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Can you do a (optional) sub-menu
EPUB <submenu> Label : Program call ... <endsub-menu>

EPUB
"Edit" : "Sigil.exe ";
"Validate" : "Flightcrew.exe ";
"Alt-View" : "Firefox.exe " /* uses EPUBReader */

The version I have pushed does not build it as a sub-menu. It is just a second level menu so you could have for instance:
"EPUB Edit in Sigil"
"EPUB Validate in FlightCrew"
"EPUB View in Firefox"
----- (Separator)
blah blah

The text is configurable. I would guess for most people they aren't going to bother configuring much other than EPUB so not having to go one further level down in the menu with the mouse is an advantage.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #130
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The version I have pushed does not build it as a sub-menu. It is just a second level menu so you could have for instance:
"EPUB Edit in Sigil"
"EPUB Validate in FlightCrew"
"EPUB View in Firefox"
----- (Separator)
blah blah

The text is configurable. I would guess for most people they aren't going to bother configuring much other than EPUB so not having to go one further level down in the menu with the mouse is an advantage.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #131
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Ok, I've just pushed a new version of the "Open format externally" plugin which should better handle foreign language titles and also multiple entries in the sub-menu for the same format. So for instance if you have multiple EPUB editors or applications you can configure them as individual menu items.
I wonder what mst (OP) will think when he logs on. That was a mighty quick response to his problem.

Thanks for the support.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-21-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #132
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

I've just written another plugin called "Rename series". I won't bother posting it here yet unless anyone asks for it as it might be too niche but here is "why" I wrote it.

What it does is allow you to rename all instances of a series name, in a similar way to what you can do in the tag viewer on the left of the screen. The advantages it offers over the tag viewer are:
1. You don't have to have the tag viewer pane visible using up real estate
2. You don't have to scroll and expand your way to find the series name (which can be time consuming when you have lots of series)
3. After renaming it executes your current search and retains the selected row, unlike the tag viewer which annoyingly clears your search so you have to "start again" to get back to the set of rows you were looking at.

In comparison to the bulk edit dialog it offers these advantages:
1. You don't have to have all books in the series selected to rename the series
2. It defaults the series name to the existing one rather than blank as in the bulk metadata dialog
3. Most importantly, it does not tamper in any way with series index values. With the bulk metadata dialog you are forced to overwrite series index values which even with careful ordering of selections is a no-go if you have missing books in the sequence.

You third existing way of correcting a series name is to directly type it into the grid row. If you only have one book to change that is still your best choice. However for more than one book it still can offer some advantages:
1. You don't have to have all books in the series visible in your search results to rename the series
2. Obviously faster if you have a lot of books in the series
3. As you are changing only the name it can be less "fiddly" and faster to edit that in isolation on a popup dialog, compared to entering edit mode, positioning the cursor, being careful not to interfere with the series index [] brackets etc. Combining series and index together for viewing saves screen estate but makes editing either of them a pain imho, especially series index with it's finickyness for [brackets].

Anyways, if anyone else wants it let me know and I will upload it.

Last edited by kiwidude; 12-21-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #133
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
I guess it is always worth posting it here - I was also reluctant about the SSH plugin thinking it is too specific but there are already 12 downloads (albeit no feedback )
Old 12-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #134
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@kiwidude: I doubt that it matters to you, but just in case -- database2.set_series() now accepts series strings of the form 'xxxxx[nnn]'. If given such a string, it will set both the series and the series index. Given 'xxxxx', only the series is set. The change affects both the standard series column and custom series-like columns.

One consequence is that series names that end in bracketed numbers will not lead to joy. For example, changing the series 'Foo[1][4.20]' to 'Bar[1]' will set the series name to 'Bar' and the 4.20 to 1.

Another consequence is that one can now set series indices with search/replace.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #135
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Another consequence is that one can now set series indices with search/replace.
Not to go way offtopic, but I'm assuming that to do that, I'd just set the series to foo[x] like your example?
Closed Thread