Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony book light.

I bought my 505 from the Sony shop in Copley Square mall (?) in Boston when we were on vacation in the US a few weeks ago. I was a bit overwhelmed by everything in the shop and in the bargain-hunt frenzy that followed buying the Sony booklight for night-time usage seemed a good idea. If you've seen it, it uses two AAA batteries which are fitted in the spine of the case. It has a plastic-come-perspex screen that covers the 505 screen and which provides the illumination for it.

My official test review? Absolute crap! Don't waste your money on it. The illumination is at best patchy and if you think you're going to get even illumination, forget it. Fortunately, it was not too expensive but as an illumination aid, it's neither useful or ornamental. Save your money and buy some more ebooks instead.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

505 pictures.

Removed this reply

Last edited by Bokkie; 10-19-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Deleted this reply as it should be in another thread.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Your mileage may vary, but I like mine quite a lot. It may not give even lighting like a back light on an LCD, but mine covers much better than the clip-on book lights that I tried, and I tried about 5 different ones.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
autostratus
autostratus began at the beginning.

Goota go along with that reply. I have found a slight degredation of the print when using the cover in position in daylight but, hey, it swings over easily or can be removed when not needed.
In the dark the light cover is not quite even being a shade darker on the left but certainly gives a much easier reading experience than the 2 clip on types I have wasted money on.
My only crib is that it is a tad expensive, but then, most things associated with the 505 seem to be.
autostratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I like mine, actually. Compact solution for nighttime reading. Looks fine once I start reading (e.g., focusing on the book rather than observing the illumination pattern!). Lets me read in the dark nicely on the low setting. It's at least as uniform as any external lighting for the Reader or a paper book--it shouldn't be compared to the perfectly uniform lighting of an active display like an LCD screen. It does the job well IMO.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Verilux Full Spectrum Book Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
I bought my 505 from the Sony shop in Copley Square mall (?) in Boston when we were on vacation in the US a few weeks ago. I was a bit overwhelmed by everything in the shop and in the bargain-hunt frenzy that followed buying the Sony booklight for night-time usage seemed a good idea. If you've seen it, it uses two AAA batteries which are fitted in the spine of the case. It has a plastic-come-perspex screen that covers the 505 screen and which provides the illumination for it.

My official test review? Absolute crap! Don't waste your money on it. The illumination is at best patchy and if you think you're going to get even illumination, forget it. Fortunately, it was not too expensive but as an illumination aid, it's neither useful or ornamental. Save your money and buy some more ebooks instead.
Try the Verilux Full Spectrum Book Light. http://www.verilux.com/full-spectrum...vel-book-light

It is about $20. I have a desk model as well as a floor model and the light it provides is far superior to anything else. Anything!

It has rechargable batteries - which can be powered by a USB to light connection. AND to quote them, "The advanced cold-cathode bulb (included) never needs replacing." They even provide a carrying pouch. Best book light on the market, IMO.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I got one of these headlights from one or other megastore, LED, 2xAA, and headband.
Might use that, or just might use my nightlamp, which gives sufficient light to read books.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote