Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Minor niggle since upgrading to 3.0.1

I inadvertently upgraded my Touch to 3.0.1 last week whilst downloading some books from the Kobo store. Overall I'm happy with the latest firmware (though yet another change to the Home page means I could never recommend one to some of my less technical family and friends who get upset when things don't stay the same!) Since the upgrade I have noticed a slightly irritating niggle - after waking it from sleep, if I don't touch the screen within a minute it becomes unresponsive for about 10 seconds, then goes back to sleep. Waking it from sleep again then does not have the same problem, and simply touching the screen (page forward then back) stops the extra sleep happening.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Bug. Was fixed in newer firmwares (3.1.x) that maybe haven't made it to the Touch. The other option is to just do a vertical swipe on the screen which will cancel the timeout but not turn a page or anything.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Bug. Was fixed in newer firmwares (3.1.x) that maybe haven't made it to the Touch. The other option is to just do a vertical swipe on the screen which will cancel the timeout but not turn a page or anything.
Apologies - you can tell I have been too busy for the fun bits of life, such as visiting my favourite forums. I hadn't realised that this was reported previously, or that there had been a further update (though as you suggest, it doesn't look as if 3.1.x has made it to the Touch - I've just done a sync and had no further update). I'll adopt the upswipe for now - compared to some Kobo problems over the last fifteen months or so, this is nothing!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo have been selective with the firmware releases of late. 3.0.x was only released for the Touch and 3.1.x has been released for the Glo, Aura and Aura HD. And nothing has been released for the Mini since 2.6.2.

If you want to try 3.1.1 on your Touch, it has to be manually installed. But, there is an issue with the USB connection not working for some devices. I think it is only the N905C model. It works perfectly for my N905 Touch.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo have been selective with the firmware releases of late. 3.0.x was only released for the Touch and 3.1.x has been released for the Glo, Aura and Aura HD. And nothing has been released for the Mini since 2.6.2.

If you want to try 3.1.1 on your Touch, it has to be manually installed. But, there is an issue with the USB connection not working for some devices. I think it is only the N905C model. It works perfectly for my N905 Touch.
Thanks, David. I'll just stick with the easy workaround until Kobo get around to the next upgrade. It isn't as if it is onerous!

Are you affected by the bad temperatures in Oz? I don't even want to try to guess what 40+ degrees feels like ...
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Thanks, David. I'll just stick with the easy workaround until Kobo get around to the next upgrade. It isn't as if it is onerous!
There are a couple of other bugs that 3.1.x fixes, but I won't mention them as they come up under very specific circumstances. If you see them, you will know
Quote:
Are you affected by the bad temperatures in Oz? I don't even want to try to guess what 40+ degrees feels like ...
Luckily not. Where I have been for the last few weeks, the temperature has been fairly normal for this time of year. Of course, normal is nearly 30º with a couple of hotter days. But, a 40º+ day is not fun.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
40°C sounds rough, but I'd be tempted to trade it for a couple of days of the below 0°F they're predicting Wed & Thursday nights here. OTOH, the Canadians are way colder than we are here in the only fairly frigid NorthEastern USA.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Brrrrr. I've lived in warm places all my life. I don't understand sub-zero temperatures on either scale. Except when it comes to keeping the ice cream cold.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

David and Sol: Commiserations to you both - neither sounds good, and both will lead to people dying uncomfortably. We are having a remarkably mild winter so far. The air coming over from the US is getting warmed by the Atlantic, so there have been quite bad floods in some areas of England in particular, but here on the east coast of Scotland it has been wet and gloomy, but no extremes of anything really ( ... yet - it could all change!)

Keep well.

Jim
Old 01-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It's been nothing but hot here, including the hottest night on record last week. And unfortunately, people do die from it - it was estimated that hundreds died in the last big Melbourne heatwave. Right now freezing temps superficially sound good to me - but I know if I was in them, the novelty would wear off right quick!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
sunilpichamuthu
sunilpichamuthu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
When are they releasing 3.1.1 for touch N905C

I'm also affected with the problem of freezing in 3.0.1

I have to do a pin reset to start it again
sunilpichamuthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #12
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It's been nothing but hot here, including the hottest night on record last week. And unfortunately, people do die from it - it was estimated that hundreds died in the last big Melbourne heatwave. Right now freezing temps superficially sound good to me - but I know if I was in them, the novelty would wear off right quick!
I confess to being completely terrified by high temperatures - more than about 23 degrees and I'm ready to lock myself in the fridge. Until recently I could cope with cold really well, but some the blood supply to my extremities is no longer cooperative. The only good thing about that is that my wife now knows what it has been like living with her cold feet for years

To bring this back vaguely on topic - are your electronic gadgets suffering in the heat? They must be getting close to the outside of their specifications, and I heard of a big data-centre in Oz having to shut down cores the other day because the water cooling wasn't coping - of course, that's a different scale, but just wondering.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #13
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilpichamuthu View Post
I'm also affected with the problem of freezing in 3.0.1

I have to do a pin reset to start it again
Thanks, sunilpichamuthu - so far it hasn't got bad enough to need a reset. The problem seems to limit itself by going to sleep after a short freeze, after which it is fine. With a bit of luck Kobo will give us Touch users the 3.1.x upgrade soon ...
Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I confess to being completely terrified by high temperatures - more than about 23 degrees and I'm ready to lock myself in the fridge.
I... basically lock myself in the fridge, aka aircon. I can't handle the heat at all (disability-related stuff). This morning I rolled off to do my shopping at 8:30 am, and it was uncomfortably hot coming home. Power-outage plan, such as it is, is to somehow find somewhere I can lie down in aircon. The alternative is icewater in the bath and hope for the best. There are no council cooling centres here for people who need to lie down in the heat. I could possibly find a library couch to curl up in, if they had power (it's very close to home).

That hottest night bottomed out at something like 29.7 degrees (after a high of 43). Horrrrrrrible.

Quote:
To bring this back vaguely on topic - are your electronic gadgets suffering in the heat? They must be getting close to the outside of their specifications, and I heard of a big data-centre in Oz having to shut down cores the other day because the water cooling wasn't coping - of course, that's a different scale, but just wondering.
I don't generally take them outside, bar the iPhone, but then I'm not out at all once the het is really bad. I would never leave an ereader out in this.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
I... basically lock myself in the fridge, aka aircon.
Ah, yes - I tend to forget about room coolers, as opposed to heaters!

Quote:
That hottest night bottomed out at something like 29.7 degrees (after a high of 43). Horrrrrrrible.
I really don't envy you! I feel almost smug to be sat here in my gloves (circulation to fingers quite bad today)

Quote:
I don't generally take them outside, bar the iPhone, but then I'm not out at all once the het is really bad. I would never leave an ereader out in this.
Sensible. Again, I hadn't thought that you would have aircon to keep things bearable.

Tags
3.0.1, kobo, sleep mode, touch