Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
My android phone has, I think, 8 GB (Samsung Galaxy S -- Sprint Epic 4G) and I am constantly running out of space on it.

I have a 16 GB micro-SD card in my phone, but I can't put much on it. Either the app can't be moved or the home page widget and/or pushed updates require the app to be stored on the phone itself. I have 93 MB free internally, 8.8 GB free externally, and I've moved as much onto the card as I can without losing functionality. My experiences with *that* lead me to think cloud storage would be the same or worse.

I would definitely want more storage in a tablet and I think even 16 GB is too small.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I would definitely want more storage in a tablet and I think even 16 GB is too small.
This. Hey, I wonder if Google will have a fire sale of the unsold 8GB models? I bet they could shift them if they sold them at cost... oh, wait...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
My android phone has, I think, 8 GB (Samsung Galaxy S -- Sprint Epic 4G) and I am constantly running out of space on it.

I have a 16 GB micro-SD card in my phone, but I can't put much on it. Either the app can't be moved or the home page widget and/or pushed updates require the app to be stored on the phone itself. I have 93 MB free internally, 8.8 GB free externally, and I've moved as much onto the card as I can without losing functionality. My experiences with *that* lead me to think cloud storage would be the same or worse.

As you say, the problem is that many apps require that the storage be on the device rather than the cloud or an SD card.
I agree that 16 gb may also not be enough. My experience with my phone and my Vox (8 gb) made me aware that expandable memory doesn't resolve all your space issues!
My Galaxy Tab has 32 gb of which 17 are used and I don't have a lot of videos or games but do have photos & books in large quantities, apps like Navigon GPS with maps on the device etc.
My Tab, like the Nexus 7 has no expandable memory but after 6 months of use, I can see that for me, the 32 gb is enough combined with some use of the cloud...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

Pre-ICS phones has a separate partition for the apps and another one for data. It was a compromise, you could end up with too much data data space but out of app space, or vice-versa. With ICS and JB the whole of the available space (after the OS is taken into account) is available for whatever is needed, so you won't run out of apps space while you still have several gigabytes for data; incidentally the reason ICS no longer supports UMS. Still, this is at the manufacturer's discretion, they don't have to follow this and could partition the internal storage as it was done pre-ICS.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
All it means mate is that they have simply RUN OUT of the 16GB dew to very high demand. All the UK retailers for instance are in the process of restocking the 16gb version . So no ,google are not trying to force u to buy the 8gb.

IF you did not pre -order like me and a multitude of others then im sorry but the ones sitting on the garden fence about buying will have to wait for the next batch to arrive.
No, I'm not looking for a tablet of this size. And I wasn't thinking about it as forcing people to buy the 8Gb, but as a suggestion that they would consider the 8Gb version instead of waiting for the 16Gb one.

But if they learn anything from this maybe there will be a 32Gb version as well.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

I have an Epic 4G as well (for now) and I know what you mean about constantly running out of internal memory. It only has 1GB of internal storage (not 8GB) with about 500MB available for apps, and by the time you add in the bloatware that comes on it there's even less space.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed, Google is pushing the cloud. So is Amazon and Apple. If you don't like Google's products you don't have to buy them.
My man, don't you realize that is the whole thrust of this thread.

People don't like the Google Nexus 8GB tablet and they aren't buying them, so they are already following your advice.

I imagine that somewhere technicians are sucking the solder off the 8GB chip mounting and pulling them out and putting in 16GB chips.

Does anyone remember Google's Chrome notebooks.
Over on Amazon Samsung starts about $400 for a new one with 16GB Solid State Drive and WiFi.
A new 3G model is about $550 also with a 16GB drive.

16GB seems popular, but you also get (at least on the 5 550 3G model) this I/O

2 standard USB 2.0 ports
DisplayPort video output
4-in-1 memory card reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC)
Microphone and headphone jacks
1-megapixel webcam

Personally I think the "cloud" tail (guy) wagged the whole dog (Nexus development) and is really talking very fast right now.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
This. Hey, I wonder if Google will have a fire sale of the unsold 8GB models? I bet they could shift them if they sold them at cost... oh, wait...
I'd pay $99 for one; just like I did for my 16GB HP TouchPad.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Why is it so difficult to realize that people have different needs?
Hah.

I double dog dare you to say that in a room full of iPple cultists.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
If Google was really pushing the cloud I would have already bought this Nexus you speak of. Meaning unlimited "free" storage space for all my data on their servers in return for subscription fee.

Of course the device still needs local storage for those occasional times I am not in the range of a wifi network. I suppose I won't be buying one then lol.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #26
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I have an Epic 4G as well (for now) and I know what you mean about constantly running out of internal memory. It only has 1GB of internal storage (not 8GB) with about 500MB available for apps, and by the time you add in the bloatware that comes on it there's even less space.
Oops. I should have looked that up before posting. Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
MidnightBlue
écureuil secret
MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
"Heavy demand for the 16GB version of the new Nexus 7 tablet has caught Google out after it expected more customers ordering through Google Play to want the 8GB version…

The Guardian understands that Google's planners had thought that buyers on the Google Play store, more than from physical or online retailers, would be more committed to the company's "cloud" concept, and so would have more of their content stored online, rather than wanting to keep it on the device.
But most buyers appear to have noted that the storage on the device cannot be upgraded and decided to get the larger model…"

Hard to believe so many smart people in a smart company could get this so wrong. Or maybe they just believe their own 'Cloud' PR a little too sincerely.

source
I hope that it doesn't take them long to catch up, I want to buy one.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Surprised by demand??? I doubt it. Sounds more like a marketing ploy to me.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd pay $99 for one; just like I did for my 16GB HP TouchPad.
No way this is worth as much as a TouchPad! I would pay for shipping if they gave me an 8GB Nexus 7 for free. It is a nice device, no doubt, but can't get me excited enough to shell out some real money, no matter how cheap it is. Incremental improvements over existing models. Wish they had something really new and different. Yawn!

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-24-2012 at 03:16 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
No way this is worth as much as a TouchPad! I would pay for shipping if they gave me an 8GB Nexus 7 for free. It is a nice device, no doubt, but can't get me excited enough to shell out some real money, no matter how cheap it is. Incremental improvements over existing models. Wish they had something really new and different. Yawn!
LOL