Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Calibre support for Kobo Annotations

Hi

As of Calibre 0.8.24 later this week (normally Friday) the Kobo driver has been updated to support importing annotations from the device.

The annotations import and are inserted into the comments area of each book. Note that the book in the library must match a book on the device for the annotations to be retrieved. That is, if the book is not in your library it will not retrieve the annotations from the device copy of the book.

Which brings up another recent feature. It is possible as of 0.8.23 to add kepubs to your library from the device. They are still encrypted so are pretty much useless but you can update the cover, metadata and use them to retrieve the annotations.

To retrieve annotations, right click the send to device button and choose fetch annotations.

It seems to work well with and without sdcards and with epubs and kepubs. No doubt there will be a few issues in the first go around.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Wow great work in Calibre.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Calibre 0.8.24 is now available. Let me know if your run into issues with the annotations.

Tim
Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Autumn Corvus
Autumn Corvus began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
having trouble getting this to work for a Gutenberg kepub

Hi, I'm so glad you're implementing this feature, it's a life-saver for students. I can't seem to get it to work for a Gutenberg public domain book that I downloaded via Kobo's store however; I try to add the book to my library directly from the Kobo Touch and it doesn't it just transfers an encrypted file that Calibre doesn't recognize as the same as on the device. I even tried changing the metadata to what it reads on the ereader but it still doesn't recognize it as the same book and so doesn't transfer the annotations. Does the kepub need to be stripped of drm somehow for it to fetch the annotations? How else can I get it to recognize the book as the same as on the device? Download it directly from Gutenberg maybe?

Any help would be really appreciated, I'm trying to figure extract the quotes I need for an essay.
Autumn Corvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Calibre 0.8.24 is now available. Let me know if your run into issues with the annotations.

Tim
I just installed Calibre 0.8.25 but I'm in Florida.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Corvus View Post
Hi, I'm so glad you're implementing this feature, it's a life-saver for students. I can't seem to get it to work for a Gutenberg public domain book that I downloaded via Kobo's store however; I try to add the book to my library directly from the Kobo Touch and it doesn't it just transfers an encrypted file that Calibre doesn't recognize as the same as on the device. I even tried changing the metadata to what it reads on the ereader but it still doesn't recognize it as the same book and so doesn't transfer the annotations. Does the kepub need to be stripped of drm somehow for it to fetch the annotations? How else can I get it to recognize the book as the same as on the device? Download it directly from Gutenberg maybe?

Any help would be really appreciated, I'm trying to figure extract the quotes I need for an essay.
Unfortunately the DRM prevents calibre from viewing the file in your library. You can update the metadata and cover image but you can't read the file. However, once the drm version of the book is there you can make use of it to retrieve the annotations that you saved n the device.

Tim
Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
flobede
flobede began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 70b
Dear all,
First of all, thanks to Calibre developers for theit wonderful job!
I just got a Kobo reader and I wondered how to get my annotations and higlight back on my computer. Nevertheless, I made several tries and I don't understand how to get them. Here is how I proceed:
- I have items on my Calibre Library on my PC (eg. a chapter of my thesis I exported in epub from LibreOffice or free eBooks without DRM)
- I send them to my device (Kobo Reader)
- On the device, I annotate and higlight them
- I delete these items in my Calibre and I import them again from my device
- When I open the items, supposedly higlighted, with the Calibre epub reader, I don't see the annotations
What step am I missing here? Tim, you mention a "comments area", but I don't get what it is refering to.
Thanks in advance for your help and happy new year!
flobede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Can someone post a link to how the export looks like?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Nobody?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think what has happened is that this support has been removed from the driver....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It's still there and I have even fixed a couple of bugs. Personally, I don't think it is very useful. I haven't used it for a while, so I can't take the screen shot needed to answer readandread's question.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See this screen shot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2013-04-16 10.03.30 001.jpg
Views:	1843
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	104479  
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
sometimes I kinda wish such an incredible piece of software like calibre wasn't available so ebook manufacturers would be forced to get their act together and offer software themselves that doesn't suck so bad.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #14
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
sometimes I kinda wish such an incredible piece of software like calibre wasn't available so ebook manufacturers would be forced to get their act together and offer software themselves that doesn't suck so bad.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
I like having it all done by one piece of software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote