Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
/dev/disk1
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
mkfs does not exist on the Mac.

I have downloaded a Windows utility called HDD Wipe Tool which is running now. This is what it does:

"This freeware HDD Wipe utility will erase and re-certify a SATA, IDE or SCSI hard disk drive with any size of up to 281 474 976 710 655 bytes. Will work with USB and FIREWIRE external drive enclosures. Low-level erasing of Flash Cards is supported too. HDD Wipe Tool will clear partitions, MBR, and every bit of user data. The program utilizes Ultra-DMA transfers when possible."

Once the drive is cleared of MBR, partitions etc., how should I format it without creating yet another partition? I have access to OS X, Windows XP and Windows 7 boxes.

I had a response from Bookeen and the problem is most likely the partition and MBR, just as you thought, Godzil.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
mkfs does not exist on the Mac.
Google indicates that it is called newfs.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 AM   #19
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

newfs doesn't exist either :-( I have access to a Linux box at work so will give it a go there.

Many thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #20
scgf
Connoisseur

OK. I am at work and have plugged my Opus into a linux server - it is running the very latest Ubuntu distro. How do I know the name of the device? I have tried df, but since it contains no filesystem it hasn't mounted. The box contains a single physical hard drive - does that give a clue about what the Opus drive would be called? I'd hate to run mkfs.vfat on the wrong drive!

Cheers.
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 AM   #21
scgf
Connoisseur

When I run lsusb with only the Opus plugged into the usb port, I get this:

Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0bda:0703 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:6560 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. CY7C65640 USB-2.0 "TetraHub"
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #22
scgf
Connoisseur

Sorted it!!! Feel like doing a little dance;-)

Thanks Godzil! I guessed the Opus would be /dev/sbd and needed to do mkfs.vfat -l /dev/sdb. When I disconnected it and plugged it into my Mc I could see immediately that several folders had been created that weren't there before, and when I added a book using Calibre I could read it on the Opus! I'm so pleased!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:46 AM   #23
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
"This freeware HDD Wipe utility will erase and re-certify a SATA, IDE or SCSI hard disk drive with any size of up to 281 474 976 710 655 bytes. Will work with USB and FIREWIRE external drive enclosures. Low-level erasing of Flash Cards is supported too. HDD Wipe Tool will clear partitions, MBR, and every bit of user data. The program utilizes Ultra-DMA transfers when possible."
Warning, such a tool is not a tool for flash media, you will more likely to kill the flash chip than doing anything useful with...

I will look on my own mac for the fs creation and post here for future use
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Sorted it!!! Feel like doing a little dance;-)

Thanks Godzil! I guessed the Opus would be /dev/sbd and needed to do mkfs.vfat -l /dev/sdb. When I disconnected it and plugged it into my Mc I could see immediately that several folders had been created that weren't there before, and when I added a book using Calibre I could read it on the Opus! I'm so pleased!
That's great to hear!

For future reference, reformatting the internal memory is absolutely fine. Just make sure that you don't also repartition it .

Delighted to hear that you're back up and running.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #25
scgf
Connoisseur

Whatever I did on the Mac or on Windows it seemed to create a partition by default.

On my Mac I tried 'diskutil eraseDisk MS-DOS Opus /dev/disk2' where /dev/disk2s1 would be the first partition, but this still insisted on creating a partition and formatting that.

Linux certainly saved the day.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #26
Godzil

using diskutil is overkill for reformating a disk like on the Cybook
Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On Windows, a simple reformat of the drive is absolutely fine (right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, and select "Format" from the pop-up menu).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Godzil! I guessed the Opus would be /dev/sbd and needed to do mkfs.vfat -l /dev/sdb.
You are lucky you did not format the hard disk...

dmesg is one way to see which device is the Cybook

To check it just do something like
Code:
fdisk /dev/sdb
p
You should see that the size is corrent then.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #29
Godzil

fdisk will NOT work and should NOT be used to create partition on a device like the Cybook
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
fdisk will NOT work and should NOT be used to create partition on a device like the Cybook
I said you can use fdisk to check that the device is the correct device. I did not say you should use it to partition anything.