Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion about fonts?
I have my own reading-font favourites. 77 55.40%
I have thought about it, but the idea flew away with a breeze. 6 4.32%
Whatever is available on my device. 25 17.99%
I am not concerned at all, I just like to read. 31 22.30%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
I usually don't worry about fonts... Unless it's Comics Sans or something like this[link removed - moderator]. Oh, and I dislike sans-serif fonts. Otherwise I'm always happy with the font.
What is more scarey is that you actually know the URL of that website.

Last edited by dreams; 09-09-2012 at 11:50 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #47
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
I usually don't worry about fonts... Unless it's Comics Sans or something like this[link removed - moderator]. Oh, and I dislike sans-serif fonts. Otherwise I'm always happy with the font.
!!
Couldn't you find another site to demo that font!!!

Last edited by dreams; 09-09-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #48
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
I prefer sans-serif. I even prefer it for paper these days, there's still the occasional magazine that is set in sans-serif. Serif is pretty handy on low-quality paper though.

I force web-pages to be shown in sans-serif and I'd do the same to ebooks if they were locked to use a serif font.

There are books that use several fonts for effect though, like the Ruby Dynasty series by Catherine Asaro. The ebook-versions I have of those don't have the extra fonts so they become harder to read.
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #49
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
I've not gotten around to rooting my current reader as yet, but I used to enjoy using Gentium on my old Sony.

However, I do all of my document writing in Linux Libertine. Much better than those crappy MS fonts.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #50
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Hellmark, The way to change fonts is with the calibre plugin that is used to create/manage Kindle collections. When your Kindle is plugged in (from the Home Screen), create a folder called "fonts", and plop the fonts you wish to use into the folder. Then go to Manage Kindle in the dropdown menu of calibre's plugin.

If it doesn't like the filenames of your fonts (it didn't like the filenames of mine even though they were all the same set), change them to what it wants, then go into the manage and click "enable user fonts" and select the fonts of your choice.

Eject your Kindle, unplug it, then select "settings" on your unplugged kindle, and then select "restart" for the configuration to "take". When it comes back up the font you chose should be selectable for an open book.

Hope this helps.
I don't own a kindle though. I have a Sony 505.

Also, the book in question had a specific font set, that overrode my chosen font. I use a serifed font and it insisted on only using a sans serif font in the CSS. That is something adding new fonts won't fix.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #51
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I'm a bit of a font/typeface geek, with some desktop publishing in the ancient past, so it's not really a fair question.

For my own reading, I do prefer serif fonts in general. Though I'm not so picky that I must have total font control on my ereader for all files. As long as there's a reasonably sized/spaced serif font I'm OK with that.

On my NOOK I generally go with Malabar at the middle size and that works for most any file. For some content I do need to tweak it, but rarely.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #52
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Hellmark, The way to change fonts is with the calibre plugin that is used to create/manage Kindle collections. When your Kindle is plugged in (from the Home Screen), create a folder called "fonts", and plop the fonts you wish to use into the folder. Then go to Manage Kindle in the dropdown menu of calibre's plugin.

This does not work with the kindle touch, does it?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #53
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't like that font used in that scanned image. The capitols are too big compared to the lowercase and look at ho the uppercase J descends below the lowercase. IT just doesn't work and will end up giving a somewhat large line height.
Kind of late to jump on this thread, particularly with a response to this post, but I had a question...

How exactly does having a descender on the majuscule J give a large line height. As far as I can see, the descenders on the minuscule g, p and y descend just as far. Obviously you are entitled to your own opinions about the font in general.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #54
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I like Garamond, unmodified, and Verdana where sans serif is appropriate. There is rather a good book about fonts available for Kindle. I will look up the title
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #55
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't think so. I found it when googling for how to add fonts to the kindle 4.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I don't know if it changed since yesterday's update but there is a way to add fonts to the Kindle Touch without jailbreaking or patching. It's similar to the way you add to the K4\K3 you just don't need calibre for it.

You basically put the fonts in the folder like you do for the K4/K3 then type a command in the search bar. It then flushes the font cache reboots and adds your font. I don't have a KT so I can't verify it works but from the threads I've read it did on the firmware before yesterday's update. It may still.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #57
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't know if it changed since yesterday's update but there is a way to add fonts to the Kindle Touch without jailbreaking or patching. It's similar to the way you add to the K4\K3 you just don't need calibre for it.

You basically put the fonts in the folder like you do for the K4/K3 then type a command in the search bar. It then flushes the font cache reboots and adds your font. I don't have a KT so I can't verify it works but from the threads I've read it did on the firmware before yesterday's update. It may still.
When I google install custom font for kindle touch, I get a mobileread wiki pointing to a thread with instruction to install the jailbreak and font hack.

This is of interest to me because it means the PW will likely require a jailbreak to install custom font, which means I'll need to wait for the devs to hack it. Caecilia is unreadable as far as I'm concerned
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
When I google install custom font for kindle touch, I get a mobileread wiki pointing to a thread with instruction to install the jailbreak and font hack.

This is of interest to me because it means the PW will likely require a jailbreak to install custom font, which means I'll need to wait for the devs to hack it. Caecilia is unreadable as far as I'm concerned
Here's the info for K5 adding a custom font. It's a bit hard to read. I don't know if it still works as of yesterday's update. Someone else may know.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #59
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I feel like I'm off-topic, but I don't pay much attention to the fonts on my ebook readers. I think I set them to *something* when I first get a device or app, and then I leave that as the default forever after that.

In my paper book days, I would never consider picking up one of those tiny paperbacks (mass-market) because most of the time, I didn't like how the print looked. So I find it funny that I'm less picky now that it is more customizeable! My biggest complaint was that the pages always looked so small and crowded and I guess no matter what font I use, I don't have that problem with the electronic pages.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #60
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
There was no poll option for my answer. When I'm reading an ebook, if I even notice the body font, it's probably wrong. I make exceptions for clever typography if it's done tastefully and doesn't detract from the story, but that's rare.

I'm normally a font freak. Book covers, ad layouts, magazines, web sites, album covers, posters... all of those and more, I notice, good or bad. (Over the past year+, several indie country music artists used Bleeding Cowboy on their promo materials and I wanted to slap every single one of them.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts