Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Calibre doesn't support ".doc" files?

I have a regular old ".doc" file that I'm trying to send to my prs500 through Calibre and I get the following error message:

Code:
Could not upload the following books to the device, as no suitable formats were found:

"filename"
Anyone else have trouble with .doc files?

When I open the files in Word and Save As .rtf, it appears to load just fine. Surely I don't have to do this for all my .doc files?
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have MS Word you can send your DOC files to your Reader via eBook Library and it will convert them to RTF and put them on your Reader. But, if you don't want to do that, you do have to convert to RTF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
The important thing about Jon's post is the fact that you need MS Word on your PC for it to carry out the automatic .doc to .rtf conversion......
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't support .doc files as that would mean depending on some office suite.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Why not to use Open Office then?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's no real need. Just save the doc files as HTML and calibre will convert them.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre doesn't support .doc files as that would mean depending on some office suite.
I found this doc2html converter. It is written in PHP but under the GNU so you could convert it to python it if works.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/d...982_p/free.htm

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Considering there are only 250 lines of code in the whole package, i seriously doubt it works well.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Considering there are only 250 lines of code in the whole package, i seriously doubt it works well.
Huh... that's an interesting way to judge it. Believe me, I have seen and work with extremely verbose code, lots of duplication and such that doesn't work "well".

BOb

BTW: Curious... do you program for a living or is it just a hobby? If you do for a living what language do you work in?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Its a format converter. A format converter has to basically handle lots of cases. There is no way a converter can do that in ~200 lines of code for a format as complex as .doc

It probably just strips all but the simplest of markup.

I program for a hobby (though my job occasionally requires a lot of programming). I program primarily in C and python, though I've used over a dozen different languages over the years.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Its a format converter. A format converter has to basically handle lots of cases. There is no way a converter can do that in ~200 lines of code for a format as complex as .doc.
I agree. The problem with DOC is that it is a format defined by a program (MS Word), i.e. anything that Word accepts is a DOC and anything it does not isn't. So the approach of requiring MS Word, or an alternative with a well tested import capability (e.g. Open Office), to do the conversion outside Calibre sounds right to me.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #12
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
sorry didn't realize how old the thread was.

Deleted message

Last edited by gandor62; 11-13-2009 at 04:10 AM.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote