Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
600k ebooks in 5 days

according to steve jobs, people downloaded 600k books in 5 days from the itunes book store. not too shabby.. about 250k were downloaded in the first day alone.

other stats:

"about 450,000 ipads sold" in those 5 days
3.5 million apps downloaded in those 5 days
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Not bad at all. Wonder how many Kindle books (and other apps) where sold to people using iPads.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
according to steve jobs, people downloaded 600k books in 5 days from the itunes book store. not too shabby.. about 250k were downloaded in the first day alone.

other stats:

"about 450,000 ipads sold" in those 5 days
3.5 million apps downloaded in those 5 days
The real question: how many of those 600k were free ebooks. Because what the iBookstore needs to be competitive is *sales*, not downloads.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

actually i don't care how many the itunes store sells and how much money it makes for apple. it's nice to know that there are now 600k more ebooks out in the wild than there were before. not including books sold on kindle or kobo. it's slightly more than 1 book an ipad sold. not bad at all.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I imagine a couple hundred thousand of the ibook downloads were the free "Pooh"

Good for Winnie!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
phearlez
phearlez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Actually I bet not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

Good for Winnie!
I did not have to explicitly download WtP, it was simply already in the reader when I installed iBooks. I suppose they could count a download of iBooks as a download of that book as well but that seems disingenuous.
phearlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I finished my first book, and am reading my second on the iPad. Neither will count as downloads. The first was an epub I transferred via iTunes and the second is a kindle book.

I bet they are counting the 450,000 Pooh books.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I hope they aren't counting the Pooh books since they're pre-loaded.

If it's 600,000 actual downloads that's great news. Even if a lot of them are free, it at least shows people are checking out ebooks and the iPads e-reader functions.

Anything that expands the e-book market is good for e-book fans. Even the e-ink diehards. A larger market for e-books will mean better selection and prices as competition increases.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I finished my first book, and am reading my second on the iPad. Neither will count as downloads. The first was an epub I transferred via iTunes and the second is a kindle book.

Lee

In another thread it is suggested self loaded epubs have too small a font which cannot be changed in size. Was this the case with your itunes loaded epub?
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books

i've loaded some 500 epubs out of calibre into ibooks. you can easily change the font size. the smallest size is about that of a typewriter. while it is readable, it's a bit uncomfortable for long reading with my old eyes. there are 5 sizes with the largest being smaller than what my 600 will get up to. i have read several hundred pages at the medium size just fine.

portrait mode presents a single page, which i find easier to read. landscape presents two side-by-side which i find more difficult. to each his own.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
rainingbooks
Certified
rainingbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:

Good for Winnie!
You KNOW it. This is a Pooh conspiracy!
rainingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #12
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Would Tigger Read on the iPad?

No, I think he would play golf.

Zee iPad is a multipurpose device. While shopping at the iPad store, I noticed more customers interested in apps than ebooks. In other words, for a certain portion of the population, games and free apps will outnumber books and pdf files on their iPad.

One interesting segment of the population is musicians. As soon as an enterprising software designer can develop a killer app to record and output in midi format from the iPad, he'll make a fortune. (Midipad is not that app).

The iPad is such a gimmick, I can't resist downloading goofy apps like Accordeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZs2zUB7zq4
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phearlez View Post
I did not have to explicitly download WtP, it was simply already in the reader when I installed iBooks. I suppose they could count a download of iBooks as a download of that book as well but that seems disingenuous.
Disingenuous, thy name is corporate spinning!

That is what any corporate entity would do. If Apple is not counting the free Pooh books, I can see a firing of some corporate shill in the near future.

I don't blame Apple, that is just the name of the game.

Why do you think Jobs spent a major portion of today's announcement of the iPhone 4.0 talking about "iAd"?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
The iPad is such a gimmick, I can't resist downloading goofy apps like Accordeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZs2zUB7zq4
Actually the ipad is the best ereading device I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of them.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Why do you think Jobs spent a major portion of today's announcement of the iPhone 4.0 talking about "iAd"?
'cause it's going to make him rich(er)..