Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Comparing 505 and 700 at Borders Bookstore

I have a 505 and was looking to upgrade to a 700. Last weekend, I took my 505 and trekked 200 miles to the nearest store having a 700 on display, in my case a Borders bookstore. Here are my impressions, for what its worth:

The 700 loads and opens books much faster than the 505, I was amazed at the speed improvement, the same goes for page turns. The touchscreen is super responsive, swiping to turn pages was easy without applying much pressure at all.

I have the cover with light for my 505 and use it almost exclusively on high setting. I stare at a computer screen all day for up to 13 hours and love the screen on the 505.

The integrated lights on the 700 were blue (the cover lights are white) and did not reach the middle of the book, they were also not as bright.

And here is the negative that prevented me from upgrading to the 700: the screen is so much more blurry than the screen of the 505 even with the cover with lights, that it simply killed the deal for me. I might as well go back to reading on my PC...

Unless Sony can come up with a solution, I will stick with my 505 for the sake of my eyes.

Just to clarify, this is a purely subjective opinion! Others feel completely different about the 700, and yes - the idea of a 600 sounds great: speed of the 700, contrast of the 700...

Last edited by booknut; 02-19-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Just to clarify
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The 700 is targeted at a different market than the 505. I do not view the 700 as an upgrade from the 505.

That said, I would expect that the speed of the 700 and the user interface of the 700 will be incorporated in the next generation of the 500 series (510?) When I looked at the 700 I was not bothered by the color temperature of the internal lights, but only bothered by the resolution of the screen. I do not think most people will be bothered by the resolution and I have heard that after about an hour of reading it seems great. I still use the 500 and I know it is not as sharp as the 505, but I am very comfortable with it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
The moment they create 5xx with 7xx's features I am in
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I'm want a PRS 600 thats gets the best of both readers but of course after my new PRS 700 gets old
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickfdr View Post
I'm want a PRS 600 thats gets the best of both readers but of course after my new PRS 700 gets old
If they do that, my 700 will eventually get old, but not in my hands.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert