Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
BTW, dmaul1114, a 27" iMac will easily cure your loathing of desktops...
Nah, as it's loathing a desk more than a desktop PC. That's for work, at home I want to park my behind on the coach and watch tv or movies or play video games on my 50" HDTV, or good online on my laptop on the coach--or even better a tablet in the future.

I waste enough of my life at a desk in the office. I just can't stand doing it at home, even if I'm working at home on nights and weekends.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
"Cheap" is the key reason for such sales.
Apple prices as they have numbed you, if you consider netbooks cheap. A netbook cost as much as a laptop.

A netbook does offer advantages over a laptop. With a nebook you have portability and batter life. It's ideal for surfing the web and replying and word processing (email, documents, etc...)

As for looks well that depens on the person, Me I have not taste of style, heck I could never understand why people thought the Kindle 1 was ugly--it looks the same to me as a Kindle 2.

But hey my wife is a different story has tatste and style. He absolutely loves her pink netbook.

There is no way tables are going to replace netbooks they serve totaly different functions. Primarly the nebook is a full features computer with a Modern OS. The iPad is just a toy with some ability to do work. Oh and the nebooks have one other thing iPads don't have (Flash)

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 04-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Netbooks aren't as much as laptops. Most go for $299.99-349.99. And that is cheap for a computer, and not that much money in general. And it's not apple prices for me as I've never owned anything of there's until I bought an iPod Nano last month!

Not many laptops are in that price range--maybe some low end models in clearance deals etc.. So Netbooks are cheap, and they're fine for just doing light webbrowsing (no HD video streaming etc) and light word processing, e-mail etc. where one doesn't need to spend $500+ for a semi decent laptop.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
http://www.dell.com/business/laptops...53996~0~839326

A cheap netbook will cost less that an cheap laptop but the prices do overlap when buying a product with similar features.
The biggest differences in prices occur when you start buying a higher end laptops. These reach the thousands where the netbooks cap out at $450

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard

True. But the cheaper laptops tend to be pretty much netbooks in all but size as they're still pretty underpowered.

I don't need a super computer, but I need something that can handle HD streaming video, working with data that has several hundred thousand cases etc. so I'll always have a laptop around. Laptops I've bought (or had bought by work have been in the $1,500 range give or take a couple hundred over the years.

I've never seen the need for having a laptop AND a netbook. But I do see the appeal for desktop folks who just want a portable internet browsing machine for sure.

For me, I definitely want a media tablet to supplement my laptop, as I want something with a form factor for reading, document mark up, use in bed without the heat of a laptop/netbook etc.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #21
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That was only due to the ifone though.
Umm, ever hear of the iPod? That was a game changer long before the iPhone hit the market.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Umm, ever hear of the iPod? That was a game changer long before the iPhone hit the market.
Well it certainly Macs that did it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote