Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Kobo touch frozen on "connected and charging" screen

I may have removed my Kobo a bit too quickly from its USB connection, and now I'm stuck on the black "Connected and Charging" screen. Paper clip reset attempts are not working.

Any magic combination of button/slide presses that might get me out of this? I don't think it's a dead battery issue, as the battery was near full before I plugged it in, and it wasn't connected for long.

Ideas?
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLandes View Post
I may have removed my Kobo a bit too quickly from its USB connection, and now I'm stuck on the black "Connected and Charging" screen. Paper clip reset attempts are not working.

Any magic combination of button/slide presses that might get me out of this? I don't think it's a dead battery issue, as the battery was near full before I plugged it in, and it wasn't connected for long.

Ideas?
Something like this happened to me once so I reconnected the reader to the computer and that triggered the Read or Manage prompt and I was back in business. Does the recharging light come on when you reconnect the reader? If it does you could also try fully recharging the reader and then try to turn it off or 'pin reset' it. If none of these options work you may have corrupted your Kobo data and to correct it you would have to do a factory reset.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Something like this happened to me once so I reconnected the reader to the computer and that triggered the Read or Manage prompt and I was back in business. Does the recharging light come on when you reconnect the reader? If it does you could also try fully recharging the reader and then try to turn it off or 'pin reset' it.
Reconnecting it didn't trigger any change, but the recharging light has come on. I'll let it sit for a bit and see what happens.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

If that doesn't work you may have corrupted your Kobo data and to fix it you will have to do a factory reset by simultaneously pressing a couple of the e-reader buttons. Which buttons depends on the version of the reader you are using.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
EricLandes
Connoisseur

Quote:
If that doesn't work you may have corrupted your Kobo data and to fix it you will have to do a factory reset by simultaneously pressing a couple of the e-reader buttons. Which buttons depends on the version of the reader you are using.
Well, the screen's gone fully black now. So maybe it was a battery drain issue. Still waiting to see if it comes back.

In any case, I'm using a touch: which buttons would I need to press to do a factory reset on that?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Joe563

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLandes View Post
Well, the screen's gone fully black now. So maybe it was a battery drain issue. Still waiting to see if it comes back.

In any case, I'm using a touch: which buttons would I need to press to do a factory reset on that?
It's a fairly drastic step to factory reset your touch since you would lose all of your data and settings so it is a last resort. One more thing you could try when your unit is fully recharged is to try to shut it off by holding the power off slider in the off position for about 10 seconds.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Home button and power button simultaneously, I believe. If nothing less drastic works...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
EricLandes
Connoisseur

Quote:
It's a fairly drastic step to factory reset your touch since you would lose all of your data and settings so it is a last resort. One more thing you could try when your unit is fully recharged is to try to shut it off by holding the power off slider in the off position for about 10 seconds.
Well, keeping it connected until the charging light went off then turning it back on seemed to have fixed the problem.

Thanks Joe!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
That's normal. It takes more juice to boot up than just to idle, so if the battery is dead you won't be able to restart it right away after plugging it in. Expect this EVERY time you drain the battery completely.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
EricLandes
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
That's normal. It takes more juice to boot up than just to idle, so if the battery is dead you won't be able to restart it right away after plugging it in. Expect this EVERY time you drain the battery completely.
I'll have to watch things, but I could have sworn I'd just charged it a couple days before. That's why I didn't initially consider a fully-drained battery to be the issue.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
What I found worked for a black screen (I was reading and ran out of battery, plugged it in, waited a minute or two, then tried to turn it on and ended up with black screen) is do to a long hold on -- i.e. hold the power button in the on position. If I did a quick flick of the switch the light would change colour but it wouldn't start (tried that a few times), but when I held it it started properly. Not sure if that was co-incidence or not, but it worked that time.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Home button and power button simultaneously, I believe. If nothing less drastic works...
Just getting my Kobo up and running at the very first was a bizarre experience. I was stuck on the "Welcome to Kobo" screen for ages, and the computer wouldn't recognize the device. I had some weird blinking light issues...etc, etc...

Long story short: The Kobo folks (via phone contact) helped me out, advising me to do exactly what you've described.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Just getting my Kobo up and running at the very first was a bizarre experience. I was stuck on the "Welcome to Kobo" screen for ages, and the computer wouldn't recognize the device. I had some weird blinking light issues...etc, etc...

Long story short: The Kobo folks (via phone contact) helped me out, advising me to do exactly what you've described.
The Kobo Dudes down in Kobo world seem to be very good at being helpfull for the most part. And we are not all tech savy so what seems to be a simple thing can seem to be big issue for those that are not savy in tech.

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
derykg
derykg began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thanks, people. I had the same problem but tried the "hold a while" approach. The power light switched from blue to green and I was back in business. I appreciate your collective advice.

deryk
derykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #15
Satin Peach
Satin Peach began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
kobo touch frozen on charging and connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by derykg View Post
Thanks, people. I had the same problem but tried the "hold a while" approach. The power light switched from blue to green and I was back in business. I appreciate your collective advice.

deryk
I am having the same prob. the power light is green at the top and I've had it plugged in all day. figured it had to be done so unplugged from the cable then removed the cable from the pc and noticed it was still showing connected and charging. I have done all the things listed (holding buttons etc) and it still has the same window. it is not showing as fully charged, but AFTER the entire day? I;d say I have a prob. can anyone help? I do not want to send it back to the factory for a reset? have lots of books on it but? don't want to lose the kobo either. Am in the Dominican Republic (so not home) we are here 6 mons of the yr and in 2wks we head back home. The reader was purchased in Sept. 2011 not used much. so I'm sad this has happened. HOPE someone can help me.
Satin Peach is offline   Reply With Quote