Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Tablet Thoughts: Why iPad Will Succeed

http://jkontherun.com/2010/02/07/tab...-will-succeed/

Quote:
I had an amusing situation during the trip which points out the power of Apple with mainstream consumers. I was eating a sandwich in the hotel restaurant, reading an e-book on my Kindle. My waiter seemed to be watching me the entire time, and he finally approached me with a question. He asked me if the Kindle was “the iPad, and do you like it.” This was impressive since the iPad is not even available yet, but this non-techie guy was already looking for them. I explained that it was a Kindle, and he kindly informed me that the iPad could also read e-books but do “so much more.” Yes, Apple is going to sell a lot of iPads.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Like I have said before, Kindle brought ebook into the mainstream. Now the Ipad will make them a common household item. And I mean by that all types of readers, not just the iPad. The awareness will lift all the worthy products (Kindle, Sony, Pocketbook...etc) and a boost to the publishing industry in general.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I am actually amazed at the number of Kindles I see now on the train..such a change from just last year-I'm guessing it was a popular Christmas gift...can't wait to see how many iPads start popping up on my commute.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I am actually amazed at the number of Kindles I see now on the train..such a change from just last year-I'm guessing it was a popular Christmas gift...can't wait to see how many iPads start popping up on my commute.
I've yet to see a Kindle (or any reader actually - except iPhone) on the trains or subways in Tokyo. I get a few glances at my Sony though... but I get many more glances at my iPhone. I can't wait to see what happens with the iPad here, since the iPad is obviously bi-lingual! Japanese are big readers and almost every 7/10 people commuting on the trains are either reading a pbook, studying, working, or reading something on their phone. The rest are sleeping .
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
With the ipad being such a big device, I wonder how many people will want to carry it out and about everyday? If I can't get something to fit in my usual bag then it stays at home - also be interested to see how the ipad copes under strong sunlight even though we don't get much here in the UK!!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
With the ipad being such a big device, I wonder how many people will want to carry it out and about everyday? If I can't get something to fit in my usual bag then it stays at home - also be interested to see how the ipad copes under strong sunlight even though we don't get much here in the UK!!
I wonder myself about the size issue. I think the size would be great for reading, but wonder about the portability factor.

The sunlight thing is a non-issue for me. The number of times that I want to sit in direct sunlight and read are few and far between. Give me a shade tree any day. As I've talked about before, I find the whole issue of reading in direct sunlight interesting. I just don't see people setting out in direct sunlight reading. But for so many on these forums it seems to be a major issue. I understand like reading at the beach or something, but I can't see most people reading that way. Here in the US the doctors have people so fearful of skin cancer many hardly go outside anyway. I ride a bicycle a lot, and am in the sun a lot.... but not for reading...... wow I rambled on this one....
Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Have to admit, Bremen, I don't personally like sitting outside doing anything, nevermind reading - I've always been an indoor fan.

However my toddler is mad keen on being outdoors so I spent the majority of last year outside (rain or shine!) and the only thing that kept me sane was when I got my first ereading device as it was so clear to read outdoors - add on a waterproof pouch and unlike a paper book it becomes weather-proof too.

I find the glossy iPod touch screen harder to see outdoors which makes me wonder about the ipad screen as I assume it's similar.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard

In full sun, yes my iPhone (and laptop) are hard to see. But in shade, I don't have a problem with ether one. BUT, I still want to see it for myself before I make any kind of real buying decision.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I wonder myself about the size issue. I think the size would be great for reading, but wonder about the portability factor.
I don't see it being a huge issue. I mean even the Kindle doesn't fit in a pants pocket or most coat/jacket pockets.

The iPad is bigger and heavier, but still pretty easy to stick in a brief case, backpack etc. which is where my Kindle goes the few times I take it out of the house. Which is pretty much only when traveling. Otherwise it only gets read in bed.

Quote:
The sunlight thing is a non-issue for me. The number of times that I want to sit in direct sunlight and read are few and far between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Have to admit, Bremen, I don't personally like sitting outside doing anything, nevermind reading - I've always been an indoor fan.
I'm in the same boat their--minus having a kid change my habits!

I don't like sitting outside period. If I'm spending time outdoors I'm going to be hiking, fishing or doing some activity that gives me a reason to be outside.

I pretty much never just sit outside to read. Almost always too hot or cold for my liking, I sunburn easily and sweat like a fiend on warm days, I'm a magnet for insect bites etc., so I have little desire to sit outside or spend time outdoors if I'm not outside for a reason.

Closest I'd come is sitting on my balcony sometimes, and it's covered and screened in so there's no issue of reading in direct sunlight out there anyway. And like Bremen, even if I did want to read outside, I'd do it in shade since I sunburn so easily.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
seems like a win to me

All of the iphone apps available

All the music and movies I have in Itunes

All of the Apple Book Offerings

All of the Amazon Book Offerings (kindle for the Iphone)

seems like a good deal to me for $499 (and perhpas less after a little time in market)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard

@davidspitzer...

Agree with all your points, but I do doubt the price point will drop below $499. What apple usually does it keep the same price point, but you get more for your money. In other words at launch the 16gig iPad is $499. I will bet that within a year the 16 gig will be dropped and that $499 will get you the 32 or 64 gig instead. Then of course the high end will have more memory/features as well...... To my simple mind $499 is a fair price for the technology it brings into today's market.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
@davidspitzer...
To my simple mind $499 is a fair price for the technology it brings into today's market.
The DXi which is the same size ereader as the iPad, costs more than $499 for the international user. Depending on which country you are buying from, the DXi costs (more or less) between $510 and $600. A sizable chunk of cash by most people's standard.
I think $499 for the iPad is MORE than fair, it's a STEAL IMHO.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I understand like reading at the beach or something, but I can't see most people reading that way. Here in the US the doctors have people so fearful of skin cancer many hardly go outside anyway. I ride a bicycle a lot, and am in the sun a lot.... but not for reading...... wow I rambled on this one....
*eyes watering*
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
All of the iphone apps available
All the music and movies I have in Itunes
All of the Apple Book Offerings
All of the Amazon Book Offerings (kindle for the Iphone)

seems like a good deal to me for $499 (and perhpas less after a little time in market)
Throw in...

All my contacts
All my calendars
All my emails

...as well, and I think it's more than a good deal, personally.

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote