Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
thefanmyj
Enthusiast
thefanmyj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
Post The New Yorker (or other mags)

Hi, all. I'm a (very) new user and am wondering if there's anyway to download an issue of The New Yorker mag from BN.com and convert it to a format that will work on my Sony Touch. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
thefanmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
edited....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
thefanmyj, it depends on what format the magazine is downloaded. I believe all B&N ebooks are either DRM ePub or DRM eReader formats. These can be purchased/downloaded, DRM removed and in the case of eReader format, converted to ePub to be read by Sony. I don't have any knowledge/experience with magazines from B&N so cannot speak to that specifically.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You can download The New Yorker from the website with calibre and it will convert it into epub. I did a "test" with this on The Atlantic using Calibre and paid and downloaded a the same issue from Amazon and there was virtually no difference. Not sure if the same holds for The New Yorker or not.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-29-2009 at 03:54 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
thefanmyj
Enthusiast

Awesome! Thanks. I'll try Calibre when I get home tonight.
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
This is great. I have a print edition of the New Yorker but would rather read it on my 505. I'm planning on buying a subscription to The Economist, too, as long as I can get it in 505-friendly format. Can anyone confirm that they've bought a dead tree sub to The Economist and can get it ok electronically?
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
thefanmyj
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You can download The New Yorker from the website with calibre and it will convert it into epub. I did a "test" with this on The Atlantic using Calibre and paid and downloaded a the same issue from Amazon and there was virtually no difference. Not sure if the same holds for The New Yorker or not.
KennyC, from which site did you download the issue of The Atlantic? BN or Amazon?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefanmyj View Post
KennyC, from which site did you download the issue of The Atlantic? BN or Amazon?

Thanks.
I purchased the issue I compared from Amazon....but Calibre I believe downloads from the Atlantic website, not sure which you are asking about.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Calibre has a free version of the Economist...has much of the same content. I no longer subscribe to the Economist and use this version instead.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote