Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
heh. i thought it was "vestigial virgins" for a long time too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I have for a very long time used defenestrate to test dictionaries.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I find it amusing that defenestration is first defined as a political tactic.
The word was coined specifically to describe "The Defenestration of Prague".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #34
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Any dictionary that survives the action must be hefty enough to contain all the words you need? Hopefully you haven't killed any passing cats.

Back to task, a word I found in "Chaos" by James Gleick I loved well enough to use it whenever I can (even previously on MR):

quasiperiodicity

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-09-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #35
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Any dictionary that survives the action must be hefty enough to contain all the words you need? Hopefully you haven't killed any passing cats.

Back to task, a word I found in "Chaos" by James Gleick I loved well enough to use it wheneve I can (even previously on MR): quasiperiodicity
It got a little dodgy for the squirrels, one would assume.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #36
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Syzygy is a german new media agency!
http://www.syzygy.de/

Katzenjammer? Miau

Actually I just wanted to subscribe to this thread

Last edited by mores; 05-09-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: missed a "a"
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #37
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am laughing at my own joke (again). I picture tompe sitting at his desk with a large stack of ponderous dictionaries, methodically "testing" them... cut to the scene outside the building, the scattering passerby, the screech of an unfortunate cat (katzenjammer!), the taxi run into the fire hydrant, and the one young man holding a test victim and saying, "so that's what that means".

Do we have any cartoonists in the house? The above, with the caption quoting tompe, "I have for a very long time used defenestrate to test dictionaries.".

My spleen aches.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-09-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Knowledge of Latin is a huge help in understanding words. The other day, for example, I came across a word that I'd never seen before: "adjuvant". Thanks to my knowledge of Latin, though, I knew immediately what it meant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I have always wondered if "arachibutyrophobia" is a real word or just contructed from parts for one book (which book?).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #40
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Katzenjammer? Miau
miau, miau, hörst Du mich schreien ?
miau, miau, willst Du mich freien ?
Folgst Du mir aus den Gemächern
Singen wir hoch auf den Dächern
Mi-au komm geliebte Katze
Mi-au reich mir deine Tatze !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #41
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Back to task, a word I found in "Chaos" by James Gleick I loved well enough to use it wheneve I can (even previously on MR):

quasiperiodicity
Oh, yeah, baby, talk dirty to me. Say:

- Mandelbrot set

- strange attractor

- bifurcation parameters

and best of all

- Brownian motion

Phew! Is it hot in here? I think I need to have a sit down and a nice cup of tea.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #42
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, arachibutyrophobia is not an actual phobia, but I came across anachrophobia and anoraknophobia whilst wikiing it, so that's all right, then.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #43
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Marc, you're obviously suffering from sensitive dependence on initial conditions.

HarryT, it can be a mixed blessing. For example, the word "dependence" above. It usually brings mental images of the unfortunately named "Depends" adult diapers. Seriously, no one on that product marketing team ever took Latin?

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-09-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #44
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Marc, you're obviously suffering from sensitive dependence on initial conditions....
Yes, it's true. It makes me so anxious I get butterflies.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #45
pshrynk

Wait! Update on arachibutyrophobia : It does exist, from the Modesty Blaise series. Talk about recursive allocutions.

Last edited by pshrynk; 05-09-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Tags
hugo and lefty, words