Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Are there any Kiwis out there who want to contribute their NZ crime etc authors to this thread?

We can rename the thread to include Aus and NZ authors.

What say?
Well, apart from a couple of childrens' book authors, I cannot think of any NZ authors in any other fiction genre whatsoever worth mentioning myself. Sad state of affairs.

(Oh, just remembered Barry Crump but as far as I know no ebooks exist and he doesn't fit the thread's theme ).

PS: Kiwis are birds that can't fly, only come out at night, are half blind and eat worms; explains a lot. I myself am a NZ'er not a kiwi .

Does Neville Shute count for Aus? Some ebooks around, and specials, but I don't think any that fit this thread's theme were written while he lived in Aus (but I may be mistaken on that?).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Well, apart from a couple of childrens' book authors, I cannot think of any NZ authors in any other fiction genre whatsoever worth mentioning myself. Sad state of affairs.

(Oh, just remembered Barry Crump but as far as I know no ebooks exist and he doesn't fit the thread's theme )...
Yeesh, guess that Booker Prize win didn't stick around in people's memories for long...

Haven't read him yet, but I think Paul Cleave is a pretty well-regarded NZ thriller writer.
And sufue mentioned/reminded me of Ngaio Marsh in another thread...

That's all I got from the US. Come on now, where's that home team spirit?

And on another subject - really wish somebody would digitize Arthur Upfield's books. Been wanting to read his series for a long time now...
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Yeesh, guess that Booker Prize win didn't stick around in people's memories for long... ...
No, not forgotten . I had read her first book (sort of read it, it was to my mind very school girly theme by a seemingly still school girly writer worthy of only a scan read) but didn't think it great; fortunately is not very long. Got her Mann-Booker one and after a glance through it went to close to the bottom of the "to read" pile, so far down it may never see the light of day (seems linked to astrology and tiresome). She complains male critics don't understand her and so give her a bad rap; I can see why (I'm male).

Doesn't fit the thread theme but it may follow Keri Hulme the only other NZ'er to win the Booker (way back in 1980's, Bone People) but she has (so far) turned out to be a one book wonder and I know very few who over the more than 25 years since who have managed to get through the book and none who actually thought it of much interest (again, I'm male, as are most of my reading friends, so a book around love interests is not likely to entrance).

I'll give you Ngaio Marsh though and on topic, one of the Queens too; slipped my mind (slap), and available in eBooks. Must hunt some out, thanks.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 11-02-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Thank you AnotherCat for contributing

Ooops .... my NZer friends and I call each other as Aussie and Kiwi .... so I tend to use that when I refer generally to New Zealanders. (But then heh, I'm only from the second best country on earth, after New Zealand, eh )

I'd like to hear more about your NZ crime/mystery etc authors, perhaps the up and comers, if you'd like to post
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
AnotherCat

Janet Frame comes to mind too, but I think the only link to mystery was her own mysterious self .

A fairly comprehensive list of NZ crime/mystery/espionage writers is at http://kiwicrime.blogspot.co.nz/2010...-thriller.html . Ngaio Marsh is the only real standout; a few (e.g. McGill, Gee) are locally (mostly locally) well known but in the main for their other work.

There is, of course, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - ah, dang it, both wrong medium and genre (slap); well I had to point to something some of us can do reasonably well .
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Goodoh, thank you for that link
Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
AnotherCat - that CrimeWatch site looks interesting, thanks!
[Come to think of it, I couldn't make it through The Rehearsal, myself...and I'm female.]
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Kobo's got a Felicity Young police procedural at a cheapish AUD$6.09 - especially if you could grab a voucher code from the Kobo Discounts thread.

A Certain Malice

Quote:
Glenroyd Ladies College has a reputation to protect - and a charred corpse in the grounds. A grisly murder is the last thing Senior Sergeant Cam Fraser needs. He's just returned to the sleepy Australian town of his youth to get over the death of his wife and son in a house blaze. Having to investigate a burnt body brings back all the ghosts and forces him to confront the layers of secrecy and lies in the Outback community he once felt part of. Cam is close to discovering the truth when fire rips through the evidence and he's already in more danger than he could ever imagine...
At the time of posting this ebook can be purchased via the 'new look' checkout and takes voucher codes

(I used Firefox)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
I don't know if Dorothy Eden was considered kiwi or English (she was born in NZ & moved to/died in England). I love some of her mysteries with gothic settings & romantic elements (is that a right description?) like Darkwater. All her ebooks are cheap on Amazon & even couponable on kobo...
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #25
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks for the Eden recommendation

I've looked her up on Goodreads and will buy one of her mystery books, they look reasonably genteel which interests me.

At the time of posting her books appear to be mainly couponable, but only the old checkouts appear to be working.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
The Luminaries is being 'sold' by the author as a murder mystery. It's in my 'to be read' list, mainly due to the location and setting.

Another crime author, although British, has a definite link to New Zealand, where she was known as Juliet Hulme. Now writes under her new name, Anne Perry. I haven't read any of her books, but according to Wikipedia her works generally fall into one of several categories of genre fiction, including historical murder mysteries and detective fiction.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #27
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Jane Clifton (lives in Melb, but an NZ author?), has three ebooks on Kobo Aus - excellent value, and discount codes apply

Kobo link

Half Past Dead
AUD $3.99

Quote:
Ronnie Collins is happily married with a gorgeous son.

She loves her job in fashion.

She's also naked, hungover and in a strange bed - and her problems have only just begun...
A Hand in the Bush
$3.99

Quote:
In the heady days of the seventies, and at the tender age of nineteen, Decca Brand experimented with what was on offer - sex, drugs and intrigue. Far too much intrigue, it turns out, and of a sort that spells murder.

Fast forward nearly thirty years and Decca is confronted by dangerous figures from her past. Not only that, the stunning psychologist and divorcee has a blind date lined up with a married man.

And then things start to get complicated.
Flush
$4.99

Quote:
A body washes up on the banks of the Maribyrnong River in flood. Caught in the act of taking his own life, and surrounded by the bloodstained clothes of his wife, Oleg Kransky is a shoe-in for number one suspect.

But he's not talking. To anyone.

Oleg's former psychologist, Decca Brand, tells the police that even when Oleg was talking he wasn't telling the truth - about himself or about his wife.

It's a complicated tale with more twists and turns than a box full of pretzels.

How much water will it take to flush out a murderer?

Flush is the third crime novel by Jane Clifton.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Jane Clifton (lives in Melb, but an NZ author?), has three ebooks on Kobo Aus - excellent value, and discount codes apply

Kobo link

Half Past Dead
AUD $3.99

A Hand in the Bush
$3.99

Flush
$4.99
Oh wow! Jane Clifton?! You're kidding me!
I didn't know she was a novelist.

Did you ever watch Prisoner? Also, she was a singer too. Remember Taxi Mary and Girl on the Wall?

caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
AnotherCat

Quote:
Jane Clifton (lives in Melb, but an NZ author?...
There are two of them.

Jane Clifton the author/actress/singer and whatever else, is British born and as far as I know has never lived in NZ.

There is, however, a Jane Clifton writing in NZ but as a journalist; therefore outside my sphere of interest and respect as a writer as I am not into trying to unravel journalese semi-fiction .

EDIT: Made it clearer she writes as a journalist. Like artig has said, as far as I know of her (which is very little) she has not written any books.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 11-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
According to Wikipedia Jane Clifton was born in Gibraltar to British Army parents. Emigrated to Perth and later moved to Melbourne. There's a NZ political journalist with the same name, but AFAIK she hasn't written any books.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote