Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Please tell me about the Kindle DX

I have a number of PDF documents that I would like to be able
to read on the kindle but either the print is too small or they
have graphics that need to be larger to see clearly.

The DX looks like it might be a good choice.

What can you tell me about them

Thank you
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What can you tell me about them
It's a (usually graphite) Kindle 2 with a bigger screen.
TaDa!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Its PDF handling is the same as a K2, not a K3 (in which the PDF handling was improved).

If you are interested primarily in PDFs, you would probably be better off with an iPad or other tablet with a 10" or so screen.

Conversion to .mobi format is another option for PDFs with mostly text. You can use Mobipocket Creator, publisher edition, or Calibre, or the Amazon conversion service.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Its PDF handling is the same as a K2, not a K3 (in which the PDF handling was improved).

If you are interested primarily in PDFs, you would probably be better off with an iPad or other tablet with a 10" or so screen.

Conversion to .mobi format is another option for PDFs with mostly text. You can use Mobipocket Creator, publisher edition, or Calibre, or the Amazon conversion service.
well it is not true for now. All the pdf capabilities of kindle 3 can be used on kindle DXG with firmware 3.2.1 by yifanlu's hack. Still, e-ink readers can never compete an ipad or other tablet. But i still find the pdf handling efficient enough except going through references.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I may need to do a bit more homework on this

Many of the PDF files are image heavy
(manuals for equipment etc).
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
mr_clark
mr_clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
well it is not true for now. All the pdf capabilities of kindle 3 can be used on kindle DXG with firmware 3.2.1 by yifanlu's hack. Still, e-ink readers can never compete an ipad or other tablet. But i still find the pdf handling efficient enough except going through references.
Which hack are you talking about for the DXG? Just got my DXG today so I'm still learning but I did load Duokan on it for epub support. If I can get better support for PDFs with the stock firmware, I'd love to know how. My unit is still showing a 2.5.8 firmware (I believe).

Thanks.
mr_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127969
Old 09-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Sweeney Todd
Sweeney Todd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
I may need to do a bit more homework on this

Many of the PDF files are image heavy
(manuals for equipment etc).
Consensus is that an e-reader isn't going to cut it for those kinds of files.
Sweeney Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

If the pdfs are large files, and I'm not sure how large is too large, the DXG will choke on them. Page turns will slow to a multiminute crawl.

Duokan will improve that performance a little and offers other features, but in the end, large pdf files don't work well.

OTOH, if your pdfs are a few pages (or a few MB) they'll work fine.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
If the pdfs are large files, and I'm not sure how large is too large, the DXG will choke on them. Page turns will slow to a multiminute crawl.

Duokan will improve that performance a little and offers other features, but in the end, large pdf files don't work well.

OTOH, if your pdfs are a few pages (or a few MB) they'll work fine.
Thank you

I can read them now on my Kindle 3 but it would
be nice to have the entire page on the screen.

So until somebody comes up with a better large e-ink reader
for pdf's I'll just load them up on an old laptop and call it good.

A new tablet is a bit over kill (and batter-life will not be that good)
for just reading pdfs
Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

My main issue with the DXG is that the characters are so small with PDFs. OK I can zoom, but it kind of defeats the purpose. So I usually try to find a Kindle version of the PDF book (not always possible.)

I tried reading a PDF technical book (Prism 4 manual) on my iPad 2, and it's a bit better (it's easier to zoom/unzoom too, using two fingers), but the backlight just killed me after a little over half an hour. Just not great as an e-reader.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
reprep
Addict

the ideal PDF solution for me would be a 1:1 A4 size e-ink reader. Till then i am happy with my kindle DXG.