Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It's well worth it to me. Even though much slower, web surfing and checking email is far easier on my eyes with the K3 than on my teeny, tiny phone.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #17
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
You cannot count on being able to use 3G for anything but getting books outside the country your Kindle "belong" to (is meant to work in). Discussed in another topic here (and probably other topics as well, but stumbled upon this one when searching)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117547

Personally I would go for the 3G anyway though. Like someone else said: Better to have it and not need it than the other way around!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
As has been pointed out, it really depends. Personally, I've found having 3G (read: free web browsing and e-mail) access *extremely* useful while on holidays in the US and Japan. However, in my home country (the Netherlands), the 3G is completely useless, because it won't allow access to web browsing etc, and I really don't need 3G to fetch new books on their release date; I've got wifi at home, after all.

So I guess the question would be: what would you want to use the 3G for?
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
For me it is totaly useless...I can even do without the wifi, It is always off. It only uses power is switched on.

I read books on my Kindle and I do noting else with it. If there was a model that was 129 without the wifi I would have bought that one
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I have only had this for a week, but so far I have found that surfing is painful. Shopping for books even more so. What I have been doing is going to amazon.com shopping for books, buying them and then turning my wifi on, letting the books download and then turning it off.

as far as surfing goes. I haven't stayed in a hotel yet that didn't have free wifi, but I usually have a laptop.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i will be getting a kindle soon, and it will just be wifi-only. i like the longer battery life. plus i doubt that 3g is really completely 'free", at least for international users. while i have yet to ask amazon, i did read an article on why international users get a $2.00 additional cost on all ebooks, even "free" ones. i think this is the article: http://downloadsquad.switched.com/20...-screwing-you/ (<-- concerning 3g and delivery)

in my country i get $2.00 additional charges on amazon ebooks.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #22
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I was fine with buying just the wifi model, but my husband insisted on getting the 3G version. I'm glad he did--I haven't used it to buy books, but I have used it to pull up a map of downtown L.A. when I was hopelessly lost. I also like to double check and research what I'm reading, so it's nice that I can do that without needing to find a wifi hotspot. Paying a one time fee of $50 for (hopefully) years of just-in-case 3G is terrific especially since I don't have the extra cash for a data plan on a smart phone.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #23
alisekaspar
alisekaspar began at the beginning.

Device: yes
Hello good morning I am a alisekaspar your moblie read company is the best and your product is very useful
alisekaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #24
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
As a traveller then yep the £40 was well worth it in order to guarantee I can buy books and get my emails wherever I go.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #25
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
I was fine with buying just the wifi model, but my husband insisted on getting the 3G version. I'm glad he did--I haven't used it to buy books, but I have used it to pull up a map of downtown L.A. when I was hopelessly lost. I also like to double check and research what I'm reading, so it's nice that I can do that without needing to find a wifi hotspot. Paying a one time fee of $50 for (hopefully) years of just-in-case 3G is terrific especially since I don't have the extra cash for a data plan on a smart phone.
this. If you don't have a 3G phone, get 3G on your kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
Short answer: NO. I d prefer having WI-FI on my DXG instead of 3G. 3G is completely worthless to me. You can always have a couple of extra books to read on your device in case of emergency )) And as far as Internet browser is concerned, my cheap cell phone can check emails or weather much better )) Well, its IMHO of course.
I was on a trip to NY... web browsing on the DX sucks, but it's still better than nothing. web browsing on the K3 is awesome though(webkit), so definitely pay $50 more
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #26
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: 2018 PW4
For me. I feel kinda ripped off because I had to pay for even a wireless card.

It's an ereader. Not a multi use device.
renswic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
You cannot count on being able to use 3G for anything but getting books outside the country your Kindle "belong" to (is meant to work in). Discussed in another topic here (and probably other topics as well, but stumbled upon this one when searching)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117547
!
It probably depends where your Kindle is registered, but I've now used my 3G Kindle in at least half a dozen European countries without problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #28
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Personally, as I read kindle books on my kindle, my phone and my ipad and am out of the house most of the time when I use my kindle so having the 3g would be handy for me even if only used for synching last read page although I have also bought books via it as well too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I bought the WiFi version. I have no need for 3G. Free WiFi is readily available where I live and travel - McDonald's, Starbucks, public libraries, bookstores, FedEx, home, work, etc.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have the DXG which does not have a WIFi option. I love the 3G capability and if I were to buy a new ereader it would have to have the 3G option. There are places were you cannot access WiFi and having the 3G is very helpful. I don't use the browser but I have purchased books on the run in airports, on buses, and sitting in my bed.

I rarely travel with a laptop. I bring the netbook only on longer trips where I think I want to be able to download pictures off of my camera and I want to keep in email contact with folks. So for me, the 3G means I can download books anywhere I go.

My understanding is that the $2 that is mentioned has nothing to do with a 3G/WiFi fee and everything to do with VAT applied in some countries. I have no idea how a tax is applied to a free book but apparently it is. Go figure. Or I could be totally misinformed.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote