Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #676
lrh
lrh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Just applied the hack, and work perfectly
Thanks!
lrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #677
feliciano
feliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite2
PW2 with 5.4.2.1 questions

Hi all,

I'm new to this jailbreaking thing. I'd like to try it because the large margins make PDF reading ridiculously hard. I want to make the margins smaller etc.

Please tell me:

1- Will this hack work for a PW2 with 5.4.2.1?

2- Are there any dangers to jailbreaking it? Like bricking, etc?

Thanks very much!
feliciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #678
mikhails
mikhails began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-550, 350; Kindle PW, PW2
Jailbreaking PW2 5.4.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciano View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this jailbreaking thing. I'd like to try it because the large margins make PDF reading ridiculously hard. I want to make the margins smaller etc.

Please tell me:

1- Will this hack work for a PW2 with 5.4.2.1?

2- Are there any dangers to jailbreaking it? Like bricking, etc?

Thanks very much!
Yesterday did exactly this (and for the same purpose - margins). Followed instructions to the letter. Also blocked the updates. All went well.

HTH
mikhails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #679
HobroWilly
HobroWilly began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhails View Post
Yesterday did exactly this (and for the same purpose - margins). Followed instructions to the letter. Also blocked the updates. All went well.

HTH
Hello, I'm new to jailbreaking. I also want to fix the margin problem when reading pdf. Can you please tell me what to do after installing kindle-jailbreak-1.8.N.zip? I guess I need to install some patch to fix the margin problem but I can't find any! Or is it the USBnet one? Thank you very much!!
HobroWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 AM   #680
mikhails
mikhails began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-550, 350; Kindle PW, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobroWilly View Post
Hello, I'm new to jailbreaking. I also want to fix the margin problem when reading pdf. Can you please tell me what to do after installing kindle-jailbreak-1.8.N.zip? I guess I need to install some patch to fix the margin problem but I can't find any! Or is it the USBnet one? Thank you very much!!
Hi,

After jailbreak install
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1386361598

Then install the files you need from
http://yadi.sk/d/SoDD1AsJDPvUu

(It has Readme in English)

That's it.

Good luck
mikhails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #681
HobroWilly
HobroWilly began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhails View Post
Hi,

After jailbreak install
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1386361598

Then install the files you need from
http://yadi.sk/d/SoDD1AsJDPvUu

(It has Readme in English)

That's it.

Good luck

Thank you very much!!

HobroWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #682
kagekynde
kagekynde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

I'm also new to jailbreaking my PW2, and I want to install the Collections Manager, but after the ***Jailbreak*** appeared, which I assumed notifies success, I still can't run the Collections Manager file.

Please help.
kagekynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #683
ehani
Connoisseur
ehani began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
PW 2

Hi, new to this but don't get this:

Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.

How do I unzip it to the root directory of my PW2? Where is the root directory
ehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #684
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehani View Post
Hi, new to this but don't get this:

Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.

How do I unzip it to the root directory of my PW2? Where is the root directory
In this case, the directions mean the root directory of the USB storage area as seen over the USB cable with the Kindle in "Mass storage" mode.
(the same mode you use when transferring books)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #685
aprilsoup
aprilsoup began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
Hi,I followed your insturction,but the Update Your Kindle link stays gray. My device is WIFI paperwhite2. I bought it in Japan and shipped to China. My serial number is B05A.

My email is denispring@gmail.com.Thanks very much!
aprilsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #686
Divion
Enthusiast
Divion began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
I am new to paperwhite jailbreaking. I tried in my paperwhite 2 FW 5.4.2.1. After following instruction, *****jailbreak***** is appeared in setting page. But I have installed SS hack, i still not success without error. So, I want to ask some question

1. I do not install USBnet hack, does it need to install KUAL.
2. Does KUAL is supported in PW2 FW 5.4.2.1.
3. After SS hack, my paperwhite's linkss folder does not contain autoreboot. It just contain 'auto' file. So i copy, pasted and changed name as random and reboot file. In my linkss folder, there are 3 file: auto, random and reboot. Does it correct? All of my screensaver images are 758x1024 .png file. I dont know where is error.
4. I dont know about linux os and not have knowledge of linux language. I afraid to install usbnet hack. But i want to install other application. I have some experience of android rooting and apple jailbreaking.
5. If i reset my device. Does the jailbreak still have? By the way, after my jailbreak, it does not show a jailbreak log book in home page.

Thank
Divion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #687
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Divion- Welcome!
1. No, you do not need to install USBnet.
2. Yes Kual is supported in PW2 FW 5.4.2.1
3. After successfully installing KUAL, install the SS hack then make changes to how the SS hack works through KUAL...you really shouldn't need to be renaming files. If you are unsure if you installed the SS hack properly, uninstall it and then manually delete the linkss folder and start again.

If you are still getting 'errors', what are they?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #688
Divion
Enthusiast

@GoSharks

Thanks for your help. I already do uninstall and reinstall SS hack. But still not. I dont get any error. Just does not change SS.

Now, I will do the following,

1. uninstall SS hack and delete linkss folder
2. Install KUAL (But i dont know how to install KUAL. Some Post shows; azw2 file and repack. But i want to know for PW2 and FW 5.4.2.1)
3. reinstall SS hack

after then, I will post good or bad.

Thank for help.

Last edited by Divion; 02-10-2014 at 01:20 AM. Reason: For more detail
Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #689
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Did you get your Kindle with Special Offers? If so, the screensaver hack won't work until special offers is removed.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #690
Divion
Enthusiast

@JimmyR

Yes, I got special offers banner. I dont know about it. I have to remove it from Amazon site. They said remove special offers need 20$. I will not try it. Thank

By the way, KUAL said special Prerequisites and other. I Only made a jailbreak. Do I need a dev-cer for my PW2? I dont clear the installation of KUAL.

I want to install KUAL only .azw2 file that introduced at 14.1.2014 . Does it correct??

Edited: already done, I need to install dev-cer for K5. Now installed battery status and GAWK. I still want to install other app.

Thank

Last edited by Divion; 02-10-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch