Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-09-2024, 06:17 AM   #1
pencilneck
pencilneck began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can I email to kindle and overwrite a doc or book?

I'm trying to use my kindle paperwhite 6th gen to keep an up to date list of 'To do' jobs. If I update the list and email it to my kindle from my computer I get a duplicate file each time.

Does anyone know of any way of automatically overwriting the file on the kindle when a new one comes in?

I've kept the meta data and files names the same. Am currently using a .epub file format but maybe another one would be better?

I don't want to install extra software or jailbreak my kindle if possible.

Many thanks
pencilneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:20 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only using USB and Calibre wiil reliably do what you want (convert the epub to azw3).
Send To Kindle Email uses epub. Well, also pdf (but that's useless). It used to use ms doc, but Calibre did that better.

I don't use Email to Kindle now. There is also the privacy issue.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 06:44 AM   #3
pencilneck

Thanks Quoth, I'll give this a go and see if I can make something workable.
Keep you posted!
Old 04-10-2024, 07:39 AM   #4
pencilneck

Hi,
I can send the file OK to the kindle, but when I send and updated version I just get 2 versions of the file on the kindle. What I'd like to do is overwrite the file I have on the kindle with the new version.

I don't want multiple files on the kindle with old 'to do' lists on - just the most up to date one.

Anyone got any ideas how I can do this? Maybe Calibre can do this, but I'm missing something.

Many thanks.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:56 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to manage with Calibre via USB. It can easily remove old and add new, or you can risk overwriting (messes reading position, bookmarks, annotations). Use AZW3.
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 04:34 AM   #6
pencilneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You need to manage with Calibre via USB. It can easily remove old and add new, or you can risk overwriting (messes reading position, bookmarks, annotations). Use AZW3.
Thanks, I'll try but really want wanted to send from my phone or work computer to the kindle by email.
Will check out AZW3 in case hat overwrites.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:48 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilneck View Post
Thanks, I'll try but really want wanted to send from my phone or work computer to the kindle by email.
Will check out AZW3 in case hat overwrites.
You can't use AZW3 or Mobi with Send To Kindle. I suspect STK will always create an extra document.

Tags
file, kindle