Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
jrlopez
jrlopez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Conversion to mobi

Hi there! How should I go about converting other file formats (specifically epub, lrf, pdf) into a decent mobi file. I tried using calibre to convert however, the results were not at all to my liking. i recently read one mobi file which had a very good format. It was easy to maneuver around the book and the text was nicely formatted. By maneuvering I mean that it as easy to go from chapter to chapter, table of contents was very well done, etc.

Can anyone give me any advice on this? I'm really new to this.

Thank you very much!
jrlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Try kindlegen and see if that works better for that particular book.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Download Kindle Previewer for this. It runs the Kindlegen code, but uses a nice user interface instead of the command line.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You really should be converting to KF8 format, not Mobi. All current Kindles will read KF8.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlopez View Post
How should I go about converting other file formats (specifically epub, lrf, pdf) into a decent mobi file. I tried using calibre to convert however, the results were not at all to my liking.
Converting from pdf always has its quirks and requires further manual work.

How was the formatting of the epub file? Did it contain a table of content and so on? Did you say Calibre to use this table of content?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert