Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Jetbook with New Formats Now at Bed Bath and Beyond

The Jetbook with software for support of new formats is now being sold at Bed Bath and Beyond for $250:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...&SKU=16571865\

Why is the current software upgrade for older Jetbooks still a Beta version? Will the included dictionaries work for formats other than .txt after the update is downloaded?
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
yes, this information was posted on Ectaco website today:
http://www.ectaco.com/news/7285/

New formats for the ECTACO jetBook put it in the lead as the world’s most versatile handheld e-book reader

L.I.C., N.Y., April 14th 2009 – NY-based electronic industry leader ECTACO, Inc. has just announced that in addition to the original range of TXT, fb2, PDF and jpg file support, jetBook now boasts support for books encoded with ePub, Mobipocket, PRC and RTF formats.

"The synergy between technology, content, and usability grows stronger with each new iteration of the jetBook platform as support for additional new file formats are introduced. ECTACO is the only company to provide consumers with instant access to information and entertainment in a nearly unlimited range of file formats," said ECTACO President and CEO David Lubinitsky. "By providing support for the widest choice of e-book formats as well as the largest selection of available display languages, jetBook expands the range of content offered to its users and provides access to the information that helps make them more competitive and keeps them informed no matter where they go."

Compared to its closest rivals, the ECTACO jetBook is smaller, lighter, and more powerful than either the Sony eReader or the Amazon Kindle. And unlike the competition, jetBook features immediate, artifact*-free page turn without the annoying screen flashes that cause eyestrain.

A recent agreement between the company and superstore retailer Bed Bath & Beyond, makes it possible for consumers to find its products more easily and get some of the best deals around on the company's new jetBook. The first shipment with more supported formats will be available in Bed Bath & Beyond retail stores and on its Web site at the beginning of April. Each jetBook will be loaded with bonuses including a one hundred classic English and Spanish books with Bibles so customers can start reading right after purchase without any delays.

Ectaco has plans to distribute the jetBook at over 900 Bed Bath & Beyond stores across the United States and Canada by the end of 2009

To learn more about the ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader visit www.jetBook.net or www.ectaco.com

* "Artifacts" are the bits of text which remain on the screen after an update on pages which use electronic ink displays.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nice! If BB&B manages to move them, it'll be a great competition target for others to aim for... especially with preloaded books, so many formats, and a great price!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Perhaps Fictionwise should adopt the same retail strategy with the eBookwise 1150 in preparation for that new ebook hardware reader that Barnes & Noble is working on.

It would offer great competition/choice and be a 50% savings to boot.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can any Jetbook owners running the new firmware tell me if the PDF reader was upgraded to support re-flow?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Nita
Banned
Nita has learned how to buy an e-book online

I just saw Jetbook in Bed Bath & Beyond in Rego Park, NY today!
They have it in black color only. (not my favorite color, but I like it )
They have demo-Jetbook display with many preloaded books (mostly classic)!! I had a chance to try it and for sure it's very easy to operate, even for such untechnical person like me
the text looks very nice on the screen and readable in any angle!

So, thank you, Bed Bath and Beyond, that we can see this reader in real life and not just online before buy it!
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I just noticed that on the BB&B web site it is listed under the category The Perfect Gifts > For Him
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
Nita
Banned
Nita has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I just noticed that on the BB&B web site it is listed under the category The Perfect Gifts > For Him

they probably listed it under many categories, because it's here as well Electronics > Gadgets

but I think it would be a nice gift for him too
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
So.... could I use a Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off any one item coupon on this?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
So.... could I use a Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off any one item coupon on this?
I think you can check if it works or not on BBB website
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Kindle really needs a retail presence by the end of the year.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
Rimka
Rimka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
So I'm assuming that this is included in the "beyond" part of their name, though I guess you could also read in bed!

All joking aside, this is fantastic news! Any increased retail presence for e-reader devices, especially at this price point, is going to be a good thing! I hope to see this continuing!
Rimka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #13
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Firmware v0.30e -- link is at http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade.php despite what the link reads.

The System fonts look different -- larger than I remembered from before I updated.

Quote:
Can any Jetbook owners running the new firmware tell me if the PDF reader was upgraded to support re-flow?
Hitting the < or > key now jumps to the next section of the page (horray!) and there are scroll bars at the top and bottom to indicate there is more text off screen. There is NO auto line rewrap when you change the font so I believe that is a no for reflow.

Last edited by artifact; 04-15-2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #14
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Will dictionaries work in formats other than .txt?
Was the English dictionary improved? The dictionary I have doesn't list many simple words.
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
But o' course... why would any man actually shop in THAT store? Unless, of course, they were buying a skillet for the little woman...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote