Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
a cook book with international equivalents

Some years ago some folks I know got together via email and created a text cook book. Someone in Germany made it into a html version.

Besides various foods, it also has a page of food/recipe equivalents so this could be useful for authors as well.

Callahan's Cookbook
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
what a good idea! I have hosted a bunch of different exchange students over the years, and the frustration that ensues when a kid cannot tell you what a certain food is...welll... you can imagine. there were several stumbling blocks, but when a Dutch girl I had wanted a stew with "swedes" in it, I about went nuts trying to figure out what they were!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Swedes? Perfectly normal name around these parts. What do you call them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
In the U.S. they are called rutabagas, but I have to say that "swedes" (or Swedish turnips) is a more pleasant sounding name. "Rutabaga" is derived from the Swedish word, rotabagge.

Last edited by BenG; 05-09-2010 at 07:47 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, that's what a "rutabaga" is, is it? I've come across the word in books, but never known what it was. Thanks .
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh, that's what a "rutabaga" is, is it? I've come across the word in books, but never known what it was. Thanks .
and now you can imagine my consternation when I had an exchange student hungry for swedes, and I was pretty darn sure she hadn't gone all Alferd Packer on me!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Indeed! Just like American tourists to Britain view the old favourite, "Spotted Dick" with some consternation .
Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hate to say this... but I thought rutabagas were a myth or a joke my relatives played on me as a kid... until I saw them in large cans in a supermarket 'Diced Rutabagas'. Evidently very little food value, mostly used to fill you up so you don't realize you are hungry.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Joebill
Fanatic

@kindlekitten, many out there seldom have the backbone to complain directly. They just want to make you miserable by 'being concerned' over nothing.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebill View Post
I hate to say this... but I thought rutabagas were a myth or a joke my relatives played on me as a kid... until I saw them in large cans in a supermarket 'Diced Rutabagas'. Evidently very little food value, mostly used to fill you up so you don't realize you are hungry.
The only thing I've ever had swedes (rutabagas) with, I think, is mixed with mashed potato. I'm not aware of having eaten them in any other form.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
The only thing I've ever had swedes (rutabagas) with, I think, is mixed with mashed potato. I'm not aware of having eaten them in any other form.
I've had them diced and roasted (not too bad), and mashed with whisky and butter (very nice)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
I've never seen them canned! (thank goodness my Mom probably would have gotten them) she used to serve them at Thanksgiving and no one like them but we were obliged to have our "no thank you" helping of 3 bites. *shudder*

Quote:
@kindlekitten, many out there seldom have the backbone to complain directly. They just want to make you miserable by 'being concerned' over nothing.
yeah I know, but it gets old...
Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
They're OK but I prefer turnips.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
Joebill
Fanatic

baked potatos for me.

How large of cans for the diced rutabagas ?

The large restaurant type cans. Called 'number 10' in the US. No idea what the equivalent would be elsewhere.

Tags
cook book, international