Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
elcartero227
elcartero227 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mortal instruments Vs The Inheritance series- which should I read first?

A friend loaned me his Ipad and now for some time I am the possessor of a great collection of ebooks. . I cannot decide which one should I start first. I am thinking of reading the inheritance series by Christopher Paolini first. I do love a great dragon story, but on the other hand there is the Mortal instruments series to choose. I saw the trailor of the movie 'The city of bones' and instantly decided to read the book, because looking at the trailer I can't hold my excitement.

someone please suggest, Inheritance or The mortal instruments?? which one??
elcartero227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I would suggest The Mortal Instruments - I know that all "young" fantasy is infinitely derivative, but The Inheritance Cycle doesn't hide its infinite derivatives nearly as well. They're both stellar, of course!
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I would go the other way and suggest the Inheritance Cycle.
Eragon starts off as being more of a YA fantasy type, but as the books progress, I found the writing style to mature considerably.
Personally, I loved the whole series.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Neither, both choices are horrid tbh.
If you want some good YA fantasy try any of these
  1. Bartimaeus Trilogy
  2. Abhorsen Trilogy
  3. His Dark Materials
  4. The Graveyard Book
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

His Dark Materials? That's the worst children's series I've ever read. :P
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At least it wasn't written by a child.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
SouthernSun
Connoisseur

If anything, that makes it more impressive - that a 15-year-old managed to write Eragon at all.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Geralt
Witcher

Lol. What. @_@
There is nothing impressive about having parents that work in publishing industry, that pulled their connection in getting that trash published. Whats more, its abhorrent.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Lol. What. @_@
There is nothing impressive about having parents that work in publishing industry, that pulled their connection in getting that trash published. Whats more, its abhorrent.
It may be abhorrent to you, however that doesn't make it abhorrent to everyone.

Can you cite references proving that it was only due to his parents getting published? I've never heard that before.

I also thought "His Dark Materials" to be so poorly written that I abandoned it halfway through "The Subtle Knife".

Just goes to show that people's tastes run wildly differently to one another.

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 07-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i have to give a vote for the mortal instruments books loved them
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Lol. What. @_@

Wow tell us how you really feel, man :-)

I will second your recommendation of the Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud. I've enjoyed the first two I've read so far. That is some well-written YA fantasy. The demon character Bartimaeus is hilarious. I haven't read the two series the OP mentioned so can't comment on those. As far as other YA fantasy, I read a Garth Nix book once, Lirael I think it was, and it was bad. Not great writing and zero character development.

I've heard really good things about Leigh Bardugo and Michael Scott but haven't read any of their books yet.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
SouthernSun
Connoisseur

Quote:
Lol. What. @_@
At least we can both agree that the Bartimaeus trilogy rocks!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I loved the Inheritance series, and would highly recommend it!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Add me as another who gave up on his dark materials after attempting to read it I did manage one book but gave up on the second, I have read both the Inheritance and Mortal Instruments and enjoyed them both so you can't really go wrong.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote