Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Learn French.....help please.

Anyone have any recommendations for decent ( preferably free, or "budget" ) "Learn French" books or courses I can download onto my Calibre/Sony ?
I've had a sudden urge to improve my pathetic knowledge of the language, and
I thought "ah ha, Google this, that'll be quick" - but it wasn't quite as simple !

I've contacted the Open University, but don't know if they have a version I can put on a reader, so I can always have it handy.

I have a couple of old O.K. audio courses, but want something I can just grab and look.

I suppose I could also d/load a course or two onto a card... That'll give me an incentive to learn how use that on the T1 , as well. Education time
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
It's not a course or something like that and I don't know what "pathetic knowledge" means in your case, but another way to learn a language is to read some books in that language.
So, how about browsing our library here, downloading some books you're really interested in (not only to learn the language, but in the book itself), and start reading? Maybe you will need the dictionary very often in the beginning, but you will improve your knowledge of French.
Good luck!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I have discovered one thing about improving your ability to speak French that really seems to work and I cannot explain why. What I have learned is, and excuse me if this is overly technical, but the more French wine you drink, the better your French gets.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I have discovered one thing about improving your ability to speak French that really seems to work and I cannot explain why. What I have learned is, and excuse me if this is overly technical, but the more French wine you drink, the better your French gets.

Works with Spanish and Italian as well in my experience.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Try the "So You Want to Learn a Language" site, which has a whole bunch of links (including for e-books) to free language learning resources offered on the web. There's a specific disclaimer that the site only links to public domain/copyright-expired/put up by author themself stuff.

Weirdly enough, it's Project Gutenberg Australia which hosts Basic French for Canadian Schools. It's slightly antiquated, but gives a good overall grounding in the basics that's probably a bit more in-depth and structured than most modern courses will give you, and it dates from 1937 with author/editor unknown.

I have no idea what the UK rules are in terms of anonymous publication and the public domain, but it's been over 70 years anyway. And it was a Canadian government publication to begin with. I'm sure the Ministry of Education would have actually wanted it to be used for education, in a non-Orwellian sense of the word.

Hope this helps et bonne chance!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
another way to learn a language is to read some books in that language.
Project Gutenberg Australia also has some public domain French books with fairly basic vocabulary and syntax (Le Petit Prince, etc.) that are fun to read and great for improving reading comprehension.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
All useful - thanks guys.

And I have tried the Wine Course - it worked btilliantly with Portugese, not quite so well with Spanish, and as for French, well, I always fall asleep before anything sticks in the grey cells.
But I did eat a lot of fish during the Portugese period.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote