Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
khismet
khismet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Install fails with Kaspersky Internet Security 2011?

I'm having a really strange issue installing Calibre. The first time I installed, it worked fine. However, since then, every upgrade installation hangs at the checking disk space stage, and at that point KIS goes mad and drains almost all the CPU.

If I kill KIS before installing the update, all proceeds OK.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour, and even better, does anyone know how to cure it?
khismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not uncommon for AV software to mess up software installation. I'm a software author myself; my standard advice, whenever anyone reports problems installing the software, is to disable AV, install, then re-enable the AV.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
khismet
khismet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I've often seen KIS object to what the install is doing with a warning message or request for authorisation, but I've never seen it get provoked into massive activity and the install stalled.
khismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If I remember correctly, at that stage of the installation, the installer generates checksums of every file in the Calibre install directory and compares those with the checksums of the files it wants to install. I've heard that this has to be done because Calibre is written in Python, and the associated files cannot store the checksums needed, unlike "normal" .exe and .dll files. It might be that Kaspersky gets confused by the huge amount of disk access performed during that phase. You could try to exclude the Calibre install directory from the real-time search.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Over the years, I have seen Kaspersky's name pop-up frequently on various USNET software support groups. Basically, the same issue: 'Very aggressive blocking' of suspicious files and activity. (I am making NO judgment on Good or bad )

For your peace of mind:
Scan the Download, but EXCLUDE the install folder (calibre2 and sub folders) and the Library folder(s)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote