Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #421
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, the reason for the mod notice was that links to unathorised copies of the firmware had been posted. Ie someone had uploaded a copy of the firmware to some other site without Kobo's permission and posted a link to that.

Linking to Kobo's official download site is of course absolutely fine.
Thanks for the clarification.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #422
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Does this mean the old Touch is EOL?

I just updated from 2.5.1. to 2.8.1 on an old Touch (N905 Mark3). Installs smootly.
Just to be clear was this an original touch? What is a Mark 3? Mine just says N905.

Thanks,

V
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #423
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The difference is this thread points to the VENDORS OFFICIAL location, and not to a private copy.

** To clarify: Originally a link was posted to a NON Kobo source for this file. That post has since been edited to reflect the official location.
Actually since everyone has to guess what those links are there is no OFFICIAL VENDORS location to download the firmware. Which makes those said links a violation of the rules.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #424
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Just to be clear was this an original touch? What is a Mark 3? Mine just says N905.
That is the original Touch. There have been N905, N905B and N905C models. The N905 and N905B use the same firmware packages. When the download link is posted, it has "mark3" in the URL. The N905C use the same package as the Min, Glo and Aura HD. It's URL has "mark4" in it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #425
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:

Thanks,

V
Answering my own question Mark 3 is an original Kobo Touch. I sure hope they unified the updates 'cause here I go!
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #426
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Answering my own question Mark 3 is an original Kobo Touch. I sure hope they unified the updates 'cause here I go!
Well good luck and let us know

regards
Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #427
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Actually since everyone has to guess what those links are there is no OFFICIAL VENDORS location to download the firmware. Which makes those said links a violation of the rules.
Actually, I don't guess what those links are since Wireshark does an excellent job of capturing the packets in which the links are embedded. I have on a couple of occasions triggered a factory reset when an unexpected update occurred over WiFi so I could do the packet capture but that's a whole different issue.

There have been a couple of cases in the USA where attempts to sue over the use of links have been made but so far none successfully. In Canada, the few cases I am aware of have made it clear that while the content of a website (and under Canadian law, any original content is automatically copyrighted without having to register a copyright) is protected, links do not enjoy such protection as long as any comments regarding the link are not actionable.

In the context of this discussion, the files on the Kobo website are protected but links to that content are not protected.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 07-24-2013 at 02:59 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #428
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Just installed 2.8.1 on my Glo. There's not much I can point to specifically, but I see several little interface tweaks that are general improvements. The top margin looks smaller, the "Page X of Y" text looks cleaner somehow, I think the tile text is a bit bolder...like I said, hard to pin down, but better overall. I'm a little disappointed that the off/sleep box hasn't changed, but I like what I've seen so far.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #429
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was just replacing the uSD card in a friend's N905B Touch and decided what the heck, I've just created the image of the original uSD card so why not try an update to 2.8.1. Installed the larger uSD card, booted it up and looked fine on 2.6.1. Copied over the 2.8.1 update files, disconnected and about 5 minutes later, we had a Touch running 2.8.1. So far no real interface changes have been noticed but the top margin on epubs is smaller and some of the text looks crisper.

Pleasant surprise overall that this worked.

Regards,
David
Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #430
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
If I understand correctly Volpo and DNSB installed the complete mark 4 FW package (including the upgrade folder) on and old model Touch. This is something I did not dare until now. Could some knowledgeable person please clarify, whether there is a danger in doing so and what might happen?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #431
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If I understand correctly Volpo and DNSB installed the complete mark 4 FW package (including the upgrade folder) on an old model Touch. This is something I did not dare until now. Could some knowledgeable person please clarify, whether there is a danger in doing so and what might happen?
You understand correctly. Since I had the original uSD card and an image of it from when I was installing the new uSD card, I felt it was worth a shot. The major issue reported in past was that using the wrong update package could result in needing to rewrite the internal uSD card to recover. I have not tried a Touch without the uSD card so can't say what might happen there.

Regards,
David
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #432
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You understand correctly. Since I had the original uSD card and an image of it from when I was installing the new uSD card, I felt it was worth a shot. The major issue reported in past was that using the wrong update package could result in needing to rewrite the internal uSD card to recover. I have not tried a Touch without the uSD card so can't say what might happen there.
I don't think I will risk it on my N905 Touch. But, just using the KoboRoot.tgz is running perfectly.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #433
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
I've downloaded and tried the FW 2.8.1 but the bug with bookmarks in main memory is still present.

With FW 2.6.1, I've written :

Indeed, when you start your kobo, on the main page you can see yours last books with the number of bookmarks for each of them. Then you can see all bookmarks of a book in a single page and you can delete the ones you want in a menu.

Sometimes (very often) when you restart your kobo, the ones you have deleted are coming back !

Do you have seen the same bug ?

The answer was :

Yes, it is a bug I've seen and reported to Kobo. The issue is in the way that the bookmarks are stored for epubs in the main memory. They are stored in the device database and an annotations file. The annotations file is read when the book is opened and replace whatever is in the database. When you open the annotations list from the home screen, only the database is changed.

You won't see the problem if the epub is on the SD card or for kepubs. In both cases, the annotations are only written to the database.

=> have you got any information about this ?

Sorry for my very bad english... I'm french.

Last edited by akorx; 07-24-2013 at 06:12 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #434
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
I've downloaded and tried the FW 2.8.1 but the bug with bookmarks in main memory is still present.

With FW 2.6.1, I've written :

Indeed, when you start your kobo, on the main page you can see yours last books with the number of bookmarks for each of them. Then you can see all bookmarks of a book in a single page and you can delete the ones you want in a menu.

Sometimes (very often) when you restart your kobo, the ones you have deleted are coming back !

Do you have seen the same bug ?

The answer was :

Yes, it is a bug I've seen and reported to Kobo. The issue is in the way that the bookmarks are stored for epubs in the main memory. They are stored in the device database and an annotations file. The annotations file is read when the book is opened and replace whatever is in the database. When you open the annotations list from the home screen, only the database is changed.

You won't see the problem if the epub is on the SD card or for kepubs. In both cases, the annotations are only written to the database.

=> have you got any information about this ?

Sorry for my very bad english... I'm french.
That looks like something I wrote a few days ago. What more information do you want? The only extra thing I can add is that it isn't fixed in 2.8.1.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #435
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't think I will risk it on my N905 Touch. But, just using the KoboRoot.tgz is running perfectly.
A birdie whispered in my ear, a while ago, that you could do an upgrade by just moving the tgz file to the device, and not moving the bootstrap/kernel files.

After giving it a great deal of thought, I decided to not publish this mechanism, as I was uncomfortable with encouraging people to use an upgrade mechanism that was not as designed by Kobo. Plus there might be future issues if the firmware required something in the kernel that changed.

I didn't realise that this could be a mechanism to load Glo firmware on the old Touches.

Of course, as always, doing anything to load firmware other than through the Desktop is at your own risk.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote