Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd like my next Kindle to be one of those bright pink ones with the special "UR" function.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #32
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
When reading outside in the sun, make sure you use a SUN SCREEN.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #33
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
just thought I would dredge this up considering the new BLACK, ok "graphite" Kindles....and amazingly people like them so far from the pre-release K3 reviewers to the GDX owners/reviewers.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #34
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Actually, to be honest you are not exactly correct here. Think back to your biochem courses as well as neuro phys courses...you will have learned that the eyes are typically the primary source of creating vitamin D because we are almost always covered in clothes blocking the skins ability to also convert sunlight into vitamin-D. Do a bit of research if need be.
Vitamin D synthesis starts with a substance that is in the epidermal layer of the skin, which reacts with the ultraviolet light rays of the sun.

Quote:
Now about your fear of overheating...you have got to be kidding? I supposed in 100F weather sure but that is out of the safe range and even an 8F day would be fine given the tolerances of a hardware being well over what is listed. And I believe the K1 is from 32F to 93F so a 75F day as we had today represents no threat to melt a reader no matter how black. Remember the device is actually powered down most of the time and only powers up when changing something on the screen. There is some power to the buttons and other input components to allow response to events, but the CPU is powered way down and is generating very little heat same for the graphic subsystem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'm interested in more opinions on the black leather case being heated in direct sunlight while on a sun holiday. Over the course of four hours or more by the pool.
Will the device overheat?
Will it be too hot to hold?
Thoughts?
I haven't decided what colour to order yet.
I don't know the answer, but have this single incidence of overheating of a dark blue Sony PRS-505 where I measured the heat with an infrared thermometer.

Ambient temperature: 100 F/38 C.
Sony published high operating range: 95 F/35 C.

1. Read for two hours in the shade - no problems, cool to the touch.
2. As a test of screen fade, placed Sony 505 face up in the sun for 10 minutes.
3. Sony 505 was quite hot to the touch; letters faded; rear (all dark blue metal) measured 135 F/57 C. Front/screen measured 130 F/54.5 C.
4. Let unit cool down in the shade. At 115 F/46 C, there was no more fading of letters. (This lack of fade might have occurred at a temp higher than 115, I wasn't checking.)

Would a white casing have fared the same or similar? I don't know, although I expect it would be at least a little cooler from the physics of color absorbtion/reflection. I've never had the Sony in full sun before or since. Maybe I'll do more testing.

To Sam I Am's direct question about being in a black case for four hours by the pool, I'd say it will heat up, from my first experience with screen fade. I had my Sony in a black case for about 30 minutes, I think in the shade, at an ambient temperature of about 75 F/24 C, and it was quite hot to the touch and caused the eInk to fade. I would suggest taking it out of the black case, maybe draping a white towel or magazine over it.

Not that this has any relevance, but I've ordered the graphite K3. Not with any good reasoning. Llike Harry T., I didn't notice any contrast improvement due to the dark frame (compared to white), despite expecting some. But glad of my choice now that I read brecklundin's experience with white.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #35
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
You all ought to live where I do. Temperatures higher than 110 F are common during the summer and have been known to exceed 220 F. You can pretty much kiss anything electronic left in the sun in that kind of weather goodbye. You should see what happens to CDs left on the dash of a car that have been exposed to direct sunlight here in the summer.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #36
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
harry,

My comment is from my personal experience in bright direct sun. The white frame reflects waaay too much light for me. I was not saying it affect the panel and it's apparent contrast...we already know about that myth.

And, hey, you're in the UK where sun is a punishment, right? hehehehe...just teasing ya there...but we here in SoCal do get much brighter sun than at your latitude so our sun is much more intense.

Anyway it was just an observation from my use. That can't be incorrect, right?
black absorbs radiation.Touch a black car then touch a white car.40 degree difference on a sunny day!.

why don't you get a black marker pen and carefully color the white to black?

It works!

Last edited by vugtitan; 08-12-2010 at 03:35 AM.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
You all ought to live where I do. Temperatures higher than 110 F are common during the summer and have been known to exceed 220 F.
The highest temperature ever recorded in the USA was 56.7C (134F) in Death Valley, California. I find a temperature of 220F (104.4C) a little hard to believe!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #38
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
I'm guessing that was a typo, and she meant to write "120"
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #39
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I know you speaking about reading under bright sunlight.

But if speak absolutely about colors verily everyone prefers a color.

If you like black many people likes white, I am one of them.
And If you like green thing many of other people likes red. .. and so on.

I you a Mac user you will see most Apple computers and laptops are white.
And the white iPhone is more expensive than black in my country !

Last edited by meem; 08-14-2010 at 07:23 PM.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #40
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[QUOTE=brecklundin;735154]Thanks so very much for the feedback! I have RA (dx'd at 9) and these days if I could not use a keyboard I would never be able to write anymore...and I am only 48. It is so weird that I have zero problems typing and have been typing every day for nearly 30yrs now. but I always used the best keyboards you could buy...

This simple device can help your RA substantially as many user filed reports by ordinary people indicate.

It has full instructions and very easy to make yourself.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...itygermkiller/

The balls in your court.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle color