Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Any alternative dictionaries you like?

So far, the included dictionary seems pretty good. The only fault I find is that it does not show the pronunciation, and the definitions are much too small to read comfortably. But otherwise, not bad. So far, only one time did they not have a word I did not know either.

Anyhow, out of curiosity, went to the Kindle store and searched for "dictionary." Got a large list of all sorts of specialized ones, but only one general one, the "Oxford Large Print Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Wordpower Guide" was available, at $23.

I doubt whether this would be any better, and the only two reviews were for the paper edition, so that was no help. I was wondering if I bought that, and used it as the default, whether the definitions would be in larger print. I emailed amazon, but the reply did not answer this question

I suppose I could use it just as a book, and do a search every time I wanted to look up a word, but that is kind of a cumbersome way to do things.

Anybody found another dictionary they feel is better than the one included?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can MobiPocket dictionaries be used on the Kindle? If so, I thoroughly recommend the "Chambers 10th Edition, Unabridged" dictionary which is what I'm using on my CyBook. An excellent dictionary. British English, obviously, not American!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Hello,

The pronunciation is contained after you click into a particular word's short definition. The spacing is wider inside the full definition of a single word. Give it a try.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Hello,

The pronunciation is contained after you click into a particular word's short definition. The spacing is wider inside the full definition of a single word. Give it a try.
<slaps head> Thanks! Don't know why I never noticed that, but it does help a lot.

Still would like to find a more comprehensive dctionary.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
Amazon has had the Chambers 10th in its Kindle books catalog since November, but it's always "not yet published". I am dying to get ahold of it, so this is very frustrating to me. Why would dictionaries available on mobipocket NOT be available on Kindle?
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle can only have one "primary" dictionary at a time, but it does support DRM-free MOBI dictionaries (e.g. GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English). It does seem strange, therefore, that there are not more DRM-laden Kindle dictionaries available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote