Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
kkinser
Newbie with a Bullet
kkinser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
troubleshoot battery life

Suddenly my K3 is sucking power, seems to drain even when in sleep mode. It went from never needing charge (the occasional USB hookup to transfer files was enough), to now needing daily charges. I primarily read personal files that I email to the Kindle or transfer through USB. A few hours a day.

I don't have the cover, and I always turn wifi off when not using it. I usually sleep rather than turn off. Nothing is indexing (using nonsense word test). And this started when I left the US for two weeks in India [I'm still there]. I've done a restart, and I don't think that made a difference.

Any advice?
kkinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Get it replaced.
It has been some few threads here about the issue.
My first Kindle worked fine for 4 months, when it suddenly hogged battery juice and drained it in less than two days, no matter how I used it.
I called Kindle/Amazon CS and they replaced it, no questions asked.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
kkinser
Newbie with a Bullet
kkinser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Some further investigation and it was the indexing issue. Or at least I think it was. I just deleted the indexing file and then let my Kindle re-index everything. The another restart. And now all works as usual. Just did dumpmessages and saw it declined less than 5% after a day of use, including wireless browsing and note-taking. So, good as new.

One thing I realized though is that the Kindle re-indexes files as you take notes. Try it...open a book/file and add a note, then immediately try to search the same document. You'll get the indexing message. Since indexing uses more power, plus the extra juice of screen updating from typing, I imagine you'll get noticeably reduced battery life if you are a heavy note-taker like me.
kkinser is offline   Reply With Quote