Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #8656
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Awesome. I love it when readers get reunited with long-lost loved books. If you think you can hold out for a few months, there's probably a good chance that Gypsy Shadow Publishing, who's e-republishing most of Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's backlist, will participate in one of those Smashwords seasonal sales and offer 25% off their entire catalogue again (they also offer 25% for new buyers direct from their website, but they're PDF-only over there).

Thanks to you and BearMountainBooks also for the Vicky Bliss series reading order. Happily, the book I checked out last week is 2nd in the series so I can get started on it once I've finished at least one other required reading thing so I'm not completely slacking off my classes.

Speaking of which, finished reading Cleopatra 7.2 by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, sequel to Channeling Cleopatra. It turns out that these books were actually published by the Ace/Berkley imprint, and not a small press as I'd thought.

A nicely-done continuation of the story started there, with the personalities of famous historical figures being combined with those of donor hosts, and various corporate/ideological interests trying to take advantage of/stop the people involved for various reasons, and said people's attempts to thwart them.

This one goes a step further by having one of the historical personalities bond with two different hosts, and showing how the resulting blends are similar and differ, with alternate viewpoint narration being provided by one of the Cleopatras and her observations on the contrast between ancient and modern worlds (the rest of the book is 3rd person POV).

Tends a little towards the fantasy side towards the end, with the worldwide megaconspiracy and who's hinted at actually being behind it, but otherwise a nice light mildly thriller-ish sf-based action adventure caper. With bonus archaeology.

Mildly recommended if you're fond of such and have read the first book. Because you'd be kind of lost if you hadn't.
After reading your previous post about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, I realized I'd read at least one of the Godmother books as well. I *think* it was the first one, but I can't be sure, it's been too long. I do remember enjoying it. So yes, I'll probably wait and see if there's going to be another sale and I'll pick those up too.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #8657
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
After reading your previous post about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, I realized I'd read at least one of the Godmother books as well.
The first Godmother book is available as MultiFormat from e-Reads over at Fictionwise. So if you like, you can pick it up the next time someone shares one of those 40-50% off coupons in the Deals forum, which will probably be within several weeks, if FW's promotional pattern of the past half-year holds.

In my opinion, it's the best of the lot, although #3 is also pretty decent. #2 kind of depends on your tolerance for Ye Olde Manglede Funetically Speilt Oirish Axent.

I think you might also like the Seashell Archives series which starts from Song of Sorcery, also available via Fictionwise. It's a nifty light comedic adventure quest which gently skewers a numbers of traditional fantasy conventions. Lots of fun.

As for me, I kind of broke down and started reading Harry Turtledove's alternate universe Tudor England had the Armada succeeded and Will Shakespeare as a rebellious propagandist agitator via his plays what if, Ruled Britannia. Pretty good so far. Guess I'll do my required reading tomorrow on the bus.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #8658
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I'm lucky to be reading three great books at the moment (lots of time to read when you're stuck in a hotel room, expecially if it's raining outside). Cormack McCarthy's Blood Meridian is IMO not as good as The Road (others are of the opposite opinion though) but still breathtaking.

I read the first story in the most expensive e-book I ever bought (28 euros + change) and loved it. The book is called L'homme qui a vu l'ours (the man who saw the bear) and is a collection of essays and travel journals the author, Jean Rolin, published over about 25 years from the 80s to a few years ago. I don't think it's been translated to English but I hope it will be, it's wonderful.

Finally, I'm also reading stories from the complete works of Borges. Wasn't very impressed at first but the latest ones I read (from his book ficciones I think) were extremely funny and well written. I have to return the book tomorrow but I'll probably borrow it again later to read some more. I wish he was available in e-form in French.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 03-18-2011 at 03:41 AM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #8659
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Alive from New York by Edward G Talbot, one of my RAEBW books. Really enjoying it.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #8660
cindym
cindym began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Feel like you're on tour with an indie rock band

I went on a great road trip with the indie rock band Divine Weeks in Bill See's new book 33 Days. Takes place in 1987 when the guys break out of their daily college lives and hit the road (through USA and Canada) in an old van, running into all sorts of issues (like no $$, relationship problems, racists) along the way. An amazing coming of age journey. Feel like you're along for the ride -- and 22 again! The story could've easily been a tale of sex, drugs and rock n' roll, but it was so much more than that.
I noticed the price was lowered at Amazon to $2.99.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #8661
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Spam. I hate it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #8662
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Spam. I hate it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #8663
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm listening to A PINCH OF SNUFF by Reginald Hill (who is one of my favorite authors). It's one of his books from the 70's and deals with snuff movies.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #8664
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm about a fifth of the way through Gulliver's Travels, and though the language is difficult, I'm finding it very funny. Was laughing this morning over this war the people of Lilliput are engaged in, which revolves around how you should crack an egg -- from the big end or the small end.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #8665
The_Casualty
The_Casualty doesn't litterThe_Casualty doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch, Nook, Nookcolor
I'm halfway through The Eye of the World. Stayed up later than I should reading it.
The_Casualty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #8666
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Recently finished Firefly Island by Daniel Arenson which was quite charming but a little jerky from a plot point of view.

Now I'm reading Susan Cooper's King of Shadows. An interesting YA time-travel book. Want to suddenly find yourself back in time playing the part of Puck in William Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream opposite Shakespeare himself? Welcome to King of Shadows.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #8667
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished the 3rd book in the Hunger Game series which I personally thought was the best. I've started on Oath of Fealty now that the follow up book Kings of the North is nearing its release.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #8668
anijh
Connoisseur
anijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1e, Kindle Fire, and multiple iDevices
I just completed the second book of the Millennium trilogy -- The Girl Who Played With Fire. I plan to start the third book (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest) tomorrow.
anijh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #8669
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
About 1/2 way through Water for Elephants. What a strange, quirky story. Funny at times, sweet at times, even brutal at times. I'm trying to branch out from my non-fiction, science fiction rut. So far enjoying the branch...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #8670
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
About 1/2 way through Water for Elephants. What a strange, quirky story. Funny at times, sweet at times, even brutal at times. I'm trying to branch out from my non-fiction, science fiction rut. So far enjoying the branch...
I'm being tempted by this one just from the little I've heard of it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote