Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Byakko
Byakko began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story
iriver Story blog and twitter

Hey guys,

did you know that iriver has put up a brand new blog and twitter site for the Story? Here are the links:

Blog: http://iriverstory.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/iriver_story

These sites are supposed to help communicate with the iriver Story friends and fans community worldwide and should be providing all info on upcoming releases and news. From what I heard there's going to be a few giveaways soon as well.

Byakko
Byakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
First thanks, for the info.

It's good to learn that iRiver has not abandoned the development of Story firmware and it has not reached the end of its product cycle (after less than half a year).

Anyway, I'd like to point out that word-wrapping doesn't work for TXT format, whether you saved it with CR and LF enabled or not. The twitter messages seem to imply that turning on CR/LR with MS Word would do the trick. Nah, it doesn't. TXT format just ain't working right.

Additionally DOC format is extremely poorly supported, if at all. In fact, I would say that DOC format is almost unusable with v1.71, unless you're willing to resize your word documents prior to copying it to Story. DOC text should be reflowable.

Last, PDF should be zoomable. Please, for the sake of reading comics.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Byakko,
Thanks so much for posting this. I didn't know these avenues existed.

I've never been on Twitter, and really have no interest in it, so I'm glad things are available on a blog as well.

Thanks again.
Bran
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
onefineday
onefineday began at the beginning.

Device: iriver STORY
iriver's giving out big!
don't miss the chace. looks like not many people are following yet.. and they are giving out lots of giveaways so.....
onefineday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not exactly "lots", onefineday. And it's limited to people active on Twitter.

But speaking of active, if iRiver wants to create some momentum with this blog, it needs to actually post stuff. Development plans, articles covering those bits missing from the "manual", tips and hints on how to make formats like PDF and DOC and TXT work on the Story, downloadable public domain books formatted for optimal use on the Story (I'm guessing that means ePub only) ... these things would create some loyalty and sense of support for existing users and prospective purchasers.

Since iRiver doesn't have any customer support to speak of (trackable incidents and follow-up on issues, for instance), then a support forum on the blog with FAQs would go a long way to helping existing customers feel they hadn't bought abandonware.

As it is, the blog seems like a sales pitch only. That's not a blog, that's junk mail.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

yeah, giving away stuff isn't helping those who already own one..

I wonder how many minutes of my life have been wasted checking the iRiver download page on a daily basis.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser

You're not wrong, greenapple !! ;-)

According to the blog, the new WiFi-enabled model of the Story will be released in the next couple of months (it claims "Summer 2010" - well, in my part of the world, Summer 2010 has already gone! Drives me nuts when websites just assume that North Americans are the only people on the planet ...), so I was hoping that might mean an update to OS software ... until I remembered that version 1.71 was already WiFi-enabled - so in all likelihood we'll still have to wait for a software update.

More months of checking the website in vain, I'm afraid ...
Old 06-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
MacEachaidh
Browser

Another thing I'd like to see on the iRiver blog website: a mailing list. For them to let people sign up for notifications of software updates. Use it to try to sell us stuff, I don't care, but let us know what's happening!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
gambarini
Connoisseur
gambarini began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story, Ipod Touch, Android SmartPhone
I have problem with PDF, and with DOC.
Actually i use the story with Epub from recipe of calibre, and it is quite comfortable in this way.
It is also a mp3 player (not too comfortable, indeed).
Another problem for me: there isn't the possibility to copy from SD to internal memory.
So in order to read newpaper i must put the SD card into smartphone, downlad from internet onto the SD, and then switch the SD to Iriver Story. No other ways to use the iriver without notebook/desktop available.

Last edited by gambarini; 06-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.
gambarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambarini View Post
I have problem with PDF, and with DOC.
Actually i use the story with Epub from recipe of calibre, and it is quite comfortable in this way.
It is also a mp3 player (not too comfortable, indeed).
Another problem for me: there isn't the possibility to copy from SD to internal memory.
So in order to read newpaper i must put the SD card into smartphone, downlad from internet onto the SD, and then switch the SD to Iriver Story. No other ways to use the iriver without notebook/desktop available.
My husband has bought me a new iRiver Story and I went into Calibre to see if i could download from there.

Could not find the iRiver Story on their list of devices. That and the font sizes are giving me headaches (I'm a fragile thing!)

Any help would be appreciated from one and all.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
greenapple
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
My husband has bought me a new iRiver Story and I went into Calibre to see if i could download from there.

Could not find the iRiver Story on their list of devices. That and the font sizes are giving me headaches (I'm a fragile thing!)

Any help would be appreciated from one and all.
Just use the default settings when you use Calibre for formatting. You could upscale the font size with Calibre to 14pt or even 16pt.

In any case, you don't really need Calibre if you're only bothered by the font size. You could always change the size on Story itself. Press the key with a magnifying glass (it's on the top row on the keyboard) to make adjustments.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
gjjh25
gjjh25 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Just use the default settings when you use Calibre for formatting. You could upscale the font size with Calibre to 14pt or even 16pt.

In any case, you don't really need Calibre if you're only bothered by the font size. You could always change the size on Story itself. Press the key with a magnifying glass (it's on the top row on the keyboard) to make adjustments.
Does this increase the size of font even for pdf files?
gjjh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
kafkaesque1978
kafkaesque1978 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story + Prs 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjh25 View Post
Does this increase the size of font even for pdf files?
Not all PDF files are the same. If you select reflow from the option menu, you can increase the text size in some PDFs. Sometimes it is readable, othertimes not so. This is usually down to the way the PDF has been created
kafkaesque1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #14
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Calibre doesn't even recognise the iRiver, and to be honest the instructions for the iRiver (for me) are not explained very well, or else they take it for granted that you know what you are doing (big mistake!).

Would there be a Wiki with instructions? Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes. (John Wayne).

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
greenapple
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Calibre doesn't even recognise the iRiver...
Does the PC find your Story in the explorer? When you plug your Story to the PC, on the screen of your Story, you're presented with two choices: charge the Story (default) or connect to PC for file management. You have to select the the second choice quickly. Once the selection is made, your PC will recognise Story as an external storage, and Calibre will also find the Story.