Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
french and german dictionaries

Lingvo looks nice, but once again it's all about translating English into the language of your choice. What I'm eagerly awaiting is a solid French-French and (to a lesser extent) German-German dictionary, to help me read in languages where I actually need a dictionary.

At a pinch, French-English or French-Dutch would do as well.

I take it nobody has still found any that are usable on the PB? I've found some open source French dictionaries, but they're not terrific, and/or I haven't been able to convert them. The Littré for instance is very extensive, and available in all kinds of formats... except in a format that the PB converter seems to want to accept.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Lingvo looks nice, but once again it's all about translating English into the language of your choice. What I'm eagerly awaiting is a solid French-French and (to a lesser extent) German-German dictionary, to help me read in languages where I actually need a dictionary.

I take it nobody has still found any that are usable on the PB? I've found some open source French dictionaries, but they're not terrific, and/or I haven't been able to convert them. The Littré for instance is very extensive, and available in all kinds of formats... except in a format that the PB converter seems to want to accept.
Ditto. You'll see in other threads that a number of us want dictionaries (e.g., "PocketBook Dictionaries"). I would like Italian-Italian or Italian-English. Been looking for several days.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Galina
Enthusiast
Galina began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post

This link might help for English:
http://traduko.lib.ru/dics_en_en.html
Galina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Would be nice to get everyone in the "PocketBook Dictionary" thread to share experiences since they will probably be similar for all languages. (E.g., my own interests are Italian-Eng, German-Eng, and Italian-Italian and German-German.)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Galina
Enthusiast
Galina began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Would be nice to get everyone in the "PocketBook Dictionary" thread to share experiences since they will probably be similar for all languages. (E.g., my own interests are Italian-Eng, German-Eng, and Italian-Italian and German-German.)
Unfortunately, there are few to care about dictionaries among Pocketbook officers.
There is a hacked version of stardict made to work on Irex Iliad. I'm quite sure it could be adapted for pocketbook, and it is Open Source. This will also prevent conversion errors since we could work with the native stardict files, many of them not being even able to be converted because of the "h" flag. Mobipocket is an example of how external dictionaries can be integrated, and many of us would be willing to pay a fair price to have an extensive and good-looking dictionary. Not everybody wants everything for nothing, even if it's open source.
I'm wondering whether the scheduled Lingvo co-operation will lead to the integration of Lingvo's software into the firmware or merely the dictionary files the way they already are.
Since competition in this market is getting fiercer and fiercer, it might be worth thinking about such distinctive features.
Galina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
mdmorrissey
Addict

I guess there's no point in fooling around with this anymore myself, since I am not a techie and don't even know what an "h" flag is. I will be glad to pay a fee for the dictionaries that I want when they appear.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
mdmorrissey
Addict

On the other hand, if someone could describe again the exact procedure for making a PB dictionary (including how to upload it) I'll keep trying. Seems to me a lot of people are interested in this. I am pretty confused about the various sources (StarDict, Freelang, etc.). Since the PB team has a Converter for downloading, they must know that this is a highly desirable addition. We need to know where and how to get the files to use with the Converter, though, obviously, and how to get the thing installed in the PB.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
PocketBook officers?

Good one
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
PocketBook officers?

Good one
Lieutenant Traveller! Go back to your place and report!
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Lieutenant Traveller! Go back to your place and report!
Sir, yes, sir!!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Sir, yes, sir!!
Sorry, officers, I just ... couldn't ... resist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOTpIVxji8
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I know it's Friday and all, but surely a corporation has officers? Nothing inherently hilarious about it, is there?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
mdmorrissey
Addict

Thanks to Schnitzelbrain and Forkosigan I now have a Ger-Eng as well as the pre-installed Eng-Ger. I trust the PB team is working madly to develop others to complement their Eng-Xlang set, which will be a great boon.

In meantime the developers might note that the dict stays on top only in FBreader, not in Adobe PDF, when you turn the page, and it would also be nice if there were a way to move the dict insert out of the way when reading down the page without having to move the "cursor" or go out of the dict altogether -- but that's not really a problem.

So far I am quite happy with my PB 360, and it's also very nice to have this forum!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galina View Post
Unfortunately, there are few to care about dictionaries among Pocketbook officers.
There is a hacked version of stardict made to work on Irex Iliad. ...................................Since competition in this market is getting fiercer and fiercer, it might be worth thinking about such distinctive features.
All the answers about the "officers" but none about the Problem, mmmmmh
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I know it's Friday and all, but surely a corporation has officers? Nothing inherently hilarious about it, is there?
Well, in USA the top dog at the company is called CEO, the financial top dog is called CFO, there is also CIO, so yes. Plenty of officers. But here in Europe, we view things differently.
The top boss is Herr Direktor.
Here, when you say officer, I always imagine army officer. Or perhaps a Coast Guard Officer
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote