Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
I'm getting slightly different behaviour. My sideloaded books still work ok except for syncing, where the button is greyed out.

I don't mind using personal documents but pc and mac apps dont support it
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
You can always "side load" kindle content to your iphone/iPad through itunes. Go to the App tab in iTunes when you have your iPhone/iPad plugged in, select the Kindle app under "File Sharing" at the bottom and drag your kindle files into the "Kindle Documents" window. They appear in your Kindle app.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but Amazon has a free application (Send to Kindle PC) that works quite well on a Windows computer. You can either right click the file name in Windows Explorer and select the "send to Kindle" option or print to the "send to Kindle" pseudo-printer from within any application with which you can view the file.
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmittell View Post
Perhaps I misunderstand you, but Amazon has a free application (Send to Kindle PC) that works quite well on a Windows computer. You can either right click the file name in Windows Explorer and select the "send to Kindle" option or print to the "send to Kindle" pseudo-printer from within any application with which you can view the file.
What he means is the Personal Documents cloud service, which I, too, would very much like to see on the Mac (or at least the cloud reader)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Ms Pixie
Ms Pixie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
I'm getting slightly different behaviour. My sideloaded books still work ok except for syncing, where the button is greyed out.

Are you saying that you can still sideload books to the Kindle app with the updated version (3.0)?
I just reverted back to the 2.9 version on my iPad and gonna try to put books back by sideloading tonight, see if they still sync as beautifully as they did before the update...
Ms Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
Ms Pixie

I was able to revert back to Kindle app version 2.9 by using Carol's advice. Now all 3 of my devices sync pages between devices again. So happy, since I do read the same book among all 3 devices. Thanks Carol!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
You can always "side load" kindle content to your iphone/iPad through itunes. Go to the App tab in iTunes when you have your iPhone/iPad plugged in, select the Kindle app under "File Sharing" at the bottom and drag your kindle files into the "Kindle Documents" window. They appear in your Kindle app.
Yes, this is the 'official' way of side-loading content, and the only way I would expect it to work (and the only scenario I would expect Amazon to test). If you bypass iTunes (use iPhone Explorer etc.), you are on your own, just be grateful when it happens to work. Doesn't calibre also expect you to use app file sharing via iTunes?

Been awhile since I side loaded anything, I just use PDS or send via email attachment or dropbox. I gather iOS5 has wireless sync to iTunes, but haven't tried that yet. I rarely have any need to launch iTunes, which is the way I like it...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #23
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Pixie View Post
I was able to revert back to Kindle app version 2.9 by using Carol's advice. Now all 3 of my devices sync pages between devices again. So happy, since I do read the same book among all 3 devices. Thanks Carol!
Your Welcome. Glad you got it working.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #24
Tykie999
Tykie999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Here's the answer

Edited

Last edited by Tykie999; 03-20-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Tykie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykie999 View Post
Kindle 3.0 is, in fact a tremendous improvement.
It is not. And here is the reason why. If you have not known yet all the behaviour you decribed before (sending personal documents to your to your Kindle email, storing it in the cloud blablahblah) was already possible with version 2.9 - so no improvment on this site.

What is lost now is the sync of sideloaded content. Any advantage or tremendous improvement in that? Nope.

Any disadvantage? Yes. Big one for some people.

There is no personald document cloud feature for the Windows or Mac version of the kindle reader or the kindle cloud reader and it is not clear if there will ever be.

So no cloud, so no sync on PC or Mac reader. Thats the opposite of "tremendous improvement"

Everything else isn't new at all.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #26
Tykie999
Tykie999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Edited

Last edited by Tykie999; 03-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Tykie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #27
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
It is not. And here is the reason why. If you have not known yet all the behaviour you decribed before (sending personal documents to your to your Kindle email, storing it in the cloud blablahblah) was already possible with version 2.9 - so no improvment on this site.

What is lost now is the sync of sideloaded content. Any advantage or tremendous improvement in that? Nope.

Any disadvantage? Yes. Big one for some people.

There is no personald document cloud feature for the Windows or Mac version of the kindle reader or the kindle cloud reader and it is not clear if there will ever be.

So no cloud, so no sync on PC or Mac reader. Thats the opposite of "tremendous improvement"

Everything else isn't new at all.
Why do you keep saying there is "no sync on PC or Mac"? I told you above you use iTunes to sideload documents. If you're using iOS surely you have iTunes installed no?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Why do you keep saying there is "no sync on PC or Mac"? I told you above you use iTunes to sideload documents. If you're using iOS surely you have iTunes installed no?
We mean sync last page read. It will not work with iTunes file sharing.

And to answer another poster's question, my existing side loaded books can still load (but not sync last page) but I haven't tried new books.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
We mean sync last page read. It will not work with iTunes file sharing.

And to answer another poster's question, my existing side loaded books can still load (but not sync last page) but I haven't tried new books.
Oh I see thanks for clearing that up. A number of people were talking about losing the ability to "side load" documents which is always possible. Syncing between devices which location you're currently reading is another matter altogether.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Ms Pixie

Well, I was one of the initial posters who could do neither after I updated the Kindle app. I could not sideload (i mean I could still sideload but the books wouldnt open in the app), and syncing last page was gone (well, if u cant open the book there's no way of testing the syncing u might think). I tried syncing between my Kindle 3 and app version 2.9 on other 2 devices but the syncing chain was broken once I had updated the third device to 3.0.
After reverting back to 2.9 on that device I can sideload AND have it perfectly synced between the 3 devices again.