Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I can't imagine any reason why they wouldn't release a wi-fi only version. Seems like Amazon's main issue right now is keeping up with supply/demand for the Pearl screens. Maybe they'll have production ramped up by the holidays to release a wi-fi only DX.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #17
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
I wouldn't buy it (3G for a main device I would bring with me while traveling for work is more than a plus) but probably I should say I wouldn't buy it now. If the public wifi offer gets better than what it is here and now, it could be a great solution.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #18
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
I had been to a conference, conducted by Amazon in India, where the theme was something like "Get to know Kindle". They had given out several Kindle 2s and Kindle DXs for the participants to use at the conference. And I spent a lot of time with a DX (the original one) and browsed a lot, and had also downloaded a couple of books. And the speed was pretty good.

But at the time, I wasn't aware of the fact that Amazon didnt have 3G in India! (still there's no 3G for Kindle here). I am now beginning to wonder if those Kindles had WiFi built in just for the conference? Because the speed was just like WiFi. It was awesome.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I had been to a conference, conducted by Amazon in India, where the theme was something like "Get to know Kindle". They had given out several Kindle 2s and Kindle DXs for the participants to use at the conference. And I spent a lot of time with a DX (the original one) and browsed a lot, and had also downloaded a couple of books. And the speed was pretty good.

But at the time, I wasn't aware of the fact that Amazon didnt have 3G in India! (still there's no 3G for Kindle here). I am now beginning to wonder if those Kindles had WiFi built in just for the conference? Because the speed was just like WiFi. It was awesome.
They may have set up a Femtocell for the conference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
djk80
djk80 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
I've been reading books on the iPad, and they look great. But I'm finding that the iPad is too heavy for reading books and I'm also finding that my eyes are feeling soar from the back lit screen. I'm hooked on eReaders, so with the Kindle prices dropping, I'm thinking I want to get one.

Is the weight difference significant between the DX, or Graphite, and the Latest Gen version? I'm looking for something light, as well as no back lit screen. I notice that Amazon's photos always show the DX as being held with two hands, verses the Latest Gen, which is held with one hand.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have been reading on my ipad and have the same reasons as you.....I actually have ordered a kindle 3 already.

I was looking at the Kindle DX but the price difference is hard to justify just for a couple inches of screen. 299 would be a great price for the DX with wifi.

However until they make pdf support for the DX and annotations and everything a lot better I am going to just stick to a kindle 3 right now with my ipad. Possibly look at getting a newer version of the DX in the future
djk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
jrchase
jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
I am waiting for news on a DX that has the K3 features.
jrchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #22
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
sorry for bringing up old thread. but Kindle DX with wifi is definitely a killer.

I don't want to only read pdfs, but also wikipedia and news on a browser. lack of flash doesn't matter. the e-ink makes reading pleasurable.

i don't know what amazon is thinking ! just sell a pricey $50 wifi add-on for kindle dx, people will buy !
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx, wifi