Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-07-2024, 08:09 PM   #1
ehbowen
ehbowen began at the beginning.

Device: none
First ePub; META-INF error

Reference: This Post in the Sigil subforum.

I'm trying to troubleshoot a pesky error in an ePub which was created for me by a freelance book designer using Adobe InDesign (which I don't have and don't want). I had to edit the copyright page, which I did using Sigil, and afterwards I keep failing validation when uploading to Draft2Digital because:

Quote:
ERROR(RSC-007): /META-INF/encryption.xml(5,63): Referenced resource "OEBPS/font/Brilon-Regular.ttf" could not be found in the EPUB.

ERROR(RSC-007): /META-INF/encryption.xml(11,74): Referenced resource "OEBPS/font/TeXGyrePagella-BoldItalic.otf" could not be found in the EPUB.

ERROR(RSC-007): /META-INF/encryption.xml(17,70): Referenced resource "OEBPS/font/TeXGyrePagella-Italic.otf" could not be found in the EPUB.

ERROR(RSC-007): /META-INF/encryption.xml(23,71): Referenced resource "OEBPS/font/TeXGyrePagella-Regular.otf" could not be found in the EPUB.
I strongly suspect that this is related to Adobe's font obfuscation when creating the original ePub, but I don't know how to change it or regenerate the metadata with the tools I have access to. I do need to obfuscate at least the (properly licensed) Brilon Regular typeface, but I'm very new at this. Looking for any assistance. And thanks.
ehbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:24 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are the font files actually embedded in the epub file?
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2024, 08:49 PM   #3
ehbowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Are the font files actually embedded in the epub file?
They're supposed to be, although when I first began playing with the file I found that, although the files were in place in the ePub, they had no data (empty). I reloaded them with font files from my computer.

Edit To Add: I strongly suspect that if I knew how to re-generate that META-INF file, it would fix the issue.

Last edited by ehbowen; 04-07-2024 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Add a thought.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't have Sigil installed, so my screenshot is from Calibre Editor instead.

You should see the font file in the list of files on the left.
Then in the stylesheet, there should be references to those fonts.

If you have reinstalled fonts from your own system, it is possible that they are not an exact match and the name or family name might be slightly different to what is shown in the stylesheet.

Have you run the EpubCheck option in Sigil? It is a plugin that is installed which verifies the validity of the epub file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	font.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	207412  
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 01:11 AM   #5
ehbowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I don't have Sigil installed, so my screenshot is from Calibre Editor instead.

You should see the font file in the list of files on the left.
Then in the stylesheet, there should be references to those fonts.

If you have reinstalled fonts from your own system, it is possible that they are not an exact match and the name or family name might be slightly different to what is shown in the stylesheet.

Have you run the EpubCheck option in Sigil? It is a plugin that is installed which verifies the validity of the epub file.
Yes, I did run the ePub Check, several times. It validated each time.

The good news is that I did eventually, I believe, run this one down. But I couldn't do it in Sigil. I had to unzip the ePub file, make a few minor edits to the encryption.xml file in there, and then re-zip it all together. This time, I was able to get it to validate. Now, my custom fonts (which I paid extra for!) are still not showing up on my D2D proof...but I believe that's a D2D thing.
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 06:00 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
Yes, I did run the ePub Check, several times. It validated each time.

The good news is that I did eventually, I believe, run this one down. But I couldn't do it in Sigil. I had to unzip the ePub file, make a few minor edits to the encryption.xml file in there, and then re-zip it all together. This time, I was able to get it to validate. Now, my custom fonts (which I paid extra for!) are still not showing up on my D2D proof...but I believe that's a D2D thing.
Do you actually need these fonts? Most don't like the main body font to be embedded. I know I don't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:22 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you actually need these fonts? Most don't like the main body font to be embedded. I know I don't.
I would guess that he does because he tracked a font down and paid for it.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:29 AM   #8
ehbowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Probably not, since about everywhere I've uploaded the book to (Kobo, B&N, Amazon, D2D) it ends up stripping out the fonts and replacing them. So, attempting to match the look & feel of the print edition was wasted effort. Still, I tried.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:01 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
Probably not, since about everywhere I've uploaded the book to (Kobo, B&N, Amazon, D2D) it ends up stripping out the fonts and replacing them. So, attempting to match the look & feel of the print edition was wasted effort. Still, I tried.
You cannot get the look & feel of a pBook with an eBook using an eInk Reader. It's just not possible.

There are a lot of things in a pBook that don't work well in an eBook.I do hope you can fix some of these thing that can be a problem. Don't have any overall L/R margins. Do not have any line-height in CSS. No drop caps. Keep all font sizes at least 1em except for small caps. When simulating small caps, use a size of 0.8333em. Don't use a chapter header with an overly large amount of wasted space. The margins, line height, and font sizes are the most important. There are more things not to do but I won't go into it.

I've had a look at your fonts and personally, I would rip them out. I don't see any need for them. Most fond used for the main body font just don't look good enough on an eInk screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only pay for fonts for paper publishing, if at all.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, font obfuscating, meta-inf/container