Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
jsed
jsed began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
AC Adapter

Has anyone tried to use an iPod ac adapter with a sony prs505 reader (ie plugging the usb end of the reader cable into the plug module?)? No ac adapter came with the reader (its extra cost) and I'm getting tired of carrying more and more cords etc with my on my travels

JSED
jsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsed View Post
Has anyone tried to use an iPod ac adapter with a sony prs505 reader (ie plugging the usb end of the reader cable into the plug module?)? No ac adapter came with the reader (its extra cost) and I'm getting tired of carrying more and more cords etc with my on my travels

JSED
I'm not sure what you mean by 'usb end of the reader cable' but...

I travel a lot to Thailand and I've tried to whittle down the number of AC Adaptors and leads I carry. For my Sony 505, I carry a PSP-100 AC Adaptor which also works for my I-River H340 mp3 player. I also shortened a spare power lead and replaced the bulky Australian male plug with a smaller Thai plug. This lead also works with my ASUS 900 AC Adaptor

Both the Sony PSP and I-River adaptors said "5 volts" and they are compatible. I don't know what the iPod adaptor says.

Oh, and I label everything because I'm losing my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Adaptor 2.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	20946  
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

JSED
Is there a USB iPod charger? The one that came with mine (yes they came with the iPod with the Gen4) is a firewire socket, not usb.

Also, I would suspect it will NOT work. The Sony seems to need to see the USB data handshake or it will not charge.

Do you not travel with a laptop? You can charge from that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

JSED
I have and it does not work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:

JSED
I tried using an iPod adapter on my PRS505. The battery icon showed 3 bars when I connected the iPod charger to the PRS505. After about 2 hours of "charging" the icon only had 2 bars. Thus, I deduced the iPod charger was draining, not charging, the Sony Reader.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
You would be happier with a cable that fits in the round hole. I use the following, which plugs into the round power port, with the white brick for my iPod:

http://store.itrimming.com/dsonpspdat01.html

Disclaimer: I'm just a customer, I've got no stake in this firm.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
You would be happier with a cable that fits in the round hole.
Yep.. that's what she said.

(Sorry couldn't resist. )

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You are better off just buying a PSP charger. That is confirmed to work and is much cheaper than the AC adapter for the Reader.

I wouldn't mess around with charges, things blow up that way.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
lightfusegetaway
lightfusegetaway began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)
I ran across this the other night. It outputs the standard USB port voltage, so you should be able to use it with any USB-chargeable device. You would just need several retractable USB cords with the right size plugs for your devices (or the original cables.)

4-Port USB Travel Adapter
lightfusegetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfusegetaway View Post
I ran across this the other night. It outputs the standard USB port voltage, so you should be able to use it with any USB-chargeable device. You would just need several retractable USB cords with the right size plugs for your devices (or the original cables.)

4-Port USB Travel Adapter
Don't bet on it working. My wife has an iPod Touch and her wallwart USB charger does not work to charge my 505.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
You would be happier with a cable that fits in the round hole. I use the following, which plugs into the round power port, with the white brick for my iPod:

http://store.itrimming.com/dsonpspdat01.html

Disclaimer: I'm just a customer, I've got no stake in this firm.
Actually, getting the following would be a lot safer and would work fine.

http://store.itrimming.com/dsonpspxtc01.html